World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0015923103
Reproduction Date:

Title: Nonzeville  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Vosges department, Dommartin-aux-Bois, Allarmont, Aouze, Avranville
Collection: Communes of Vosges
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Nonzeville is located in France
Country France
Region Lorraine
Department Vosges
Arrondissement Épinal
Canton Bruyères
Intercommunality Association of ADP communes
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Michel Thiéry
Area1 1.62 km2 (0.63 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 39
 • Density 24/km2 (62/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 88331 / 88600
Elevation 332–362 m (1,089–1,188 ft)
(avg. 340 m or 1,120 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Nonzeville is a commune in the Vosges department in Lorraine in northeastern France.

Inhabitants are called Nonzevillois.


  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • See also 3
  • References 4


Nonzeville is the smallest commune by area in the département. It is situated at the confluence of several very minor roads to the south of Rambervillers and to the north-west of Bruyères, being about 12 kilometres (7 mi) from each. The commune contains the source of a spring called the Soie which joins up with the Arentèle in the neighbouring commune of Pierrepont.


The earliest surviving record of the village dates from the tenth century when it was named as Nuntiavilla,[1] which might be translated from Latin as the foretelling town or the town of the annunciation (ville annonciatrice).

Later versions of the name that turn up include Lonzéville or indeed Nonzéville. Long before the French Revolution the village was part of the Vaudicourt territory (ban de Vaudicourt), owned by the Abbey of Remiremont. The main street indeed continued to be called the Rue du ban de Vaudicourt until the nineteenth century.

Population probably peaked in the middle of the sixteenth century, when an estimate based on the number of homesteads implies a population of 193. However, by the end of the Thirty Years War it had declined to an estimated level of just 29 in 1648 thanks, presumably, to the triple war induced evils of that time, massacres, famine and plague. The village population never recovered during the ancien regime period. The population returned to 195 registered at the time of the 1831 census, but thereafter the pattern of population decline has mirrored the experience of many Lorraine villages, as commercial opportunities, factory wages and overseas emigration attracted villagers of working age away from the countryside, a trend exacerbated by the decline in farm incomes that followed the agricultural depression of the 1870s.

The commune does not have its own church. For church matters it depends on the parish of Saint Rémi down the hill at Destord.

See also


  1. ^ Mémoires de la société d'archéologie lorraine, 1897, 3éme série / 25éme volume, page 361 Liens vers l'ouvrage dans la bibliothèque numérique de la Bibliothèque nationale de France
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.