World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Norrent-Fontes

Article Id: WHEBN0000428647
Reproduction Date:

Title: Norrent-Fontes  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Béthune, Communes of Pas-de-Calais, Desvres, Communes of the Pas-de-Calais department, Frévin-Capelle
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Norrent-Fontes

Norrent-Fontes
Norrent-Fontes is located in France
Norrent-Fontes
Norrent-Fontes
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Béthune
Canton Canton of Norrent-Fontes
Intercommunality Communauté de communes Artois-Lys
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Marc Boulnois
Area1 5.7 km2 (2.2 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 1,460
 • Density 260/km2 (660/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62620 / 62120
Elevation 19–63 m (62–207 ft)
(avg. 27 m or 89 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Norrent-Fontes is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

Norrent-Fontes is situated some 10 miles (16.1 km) northwest of Béthune and 33 miles (53.1 km) west of Lille, at the junction of the D94 and D91 roads. The A26 autoroute passes through the commune.

History

Known to the Romans as Norremum, later as Norrem, in 1211 and then Norrenc in 1240. The hamlet of Fontes was known as Adfondenis in 654. After the French Revolution, the commune was created from the village of Norrent and the three hamlets of Fontes, Goulay and Malznoi.
Between the two world wars, the commune was home to one of the biggest military airfields in northern France. Abandoned in 1940, the site was reused by the Germans to launch V1 missiles towards London, in 1944. The remains are still visible from the Rely road.

Population

rules="all" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" style="margin:auto; border:1px solid #999;
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.