World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

North Eastern Railway zone

Article Id: WHEBN0002061318
Reproduction Date:

Title: North Eastern Railway zone  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Howrah–Gaya–Delhi line, Chambal Express, Ananya Express, Varanasi–Rae Bareli–Lucknow line, Varanasi–Lucknow line
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

North Eastern Railway zone

North Eastern Railway
2-North Eastern Railway
Dates of operation 1952–Till Date
Predecessor Oudh and Tirhut Railway, Assam Railway, Cawnpore-Barabanki Railway and Cawnpore-Achnera section
Track gauge Mixed
Headquarters Gorakhpur
Website North Eastern Railway

The North Eastern Railway is one of the seventeen Izzatnagar division.

The North Eastern Railway was formed on 14 April 1952 by combining two Railway systems the Oudh and Tirhut Railway and Assam Railway and the Cawnpore-Achnera section of the Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway. The Cawnpore-Barabanki Railway was transferred to the North Eastern Railway on 27 February 1953. NER was bifurcated into two Railway Zones on 15 January 1958, the North Eastern Railway and the Northeast Frontier Railway and all lines east of Katihar were transferred to Northeast Frontier Railway.[1] On 1 October 2002, Samastipur and Sonpur Divisions were transferred to East Central Railway. The present N. E. Railway (NER), after re-organisation of Railway Zones in 2002, comprises three Divisions - Varanasi, Lucknow & Izatnagar. NER has 3,402.46 route km with 486 stations. NER primarily serves the areas of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarkhand & western districts of Bihar.

This Railway passes through/connects to many important tourist and cultural centres like Varanasi, Sarnath, Lucknow, Allahabad, Kushinagar, Lumbani, Ayodhaya, Nainital, Ranikhet, Kausani and Dudhwa.

Notes

  1. ^ Rao, M.A. (1988). Indian Railways, New Delhi: National Book Trust, pp.42-4

External links

  • North Eastern Railway Official Site
  • North Eastern Railway

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.