World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

O-1 (airship)

Article Id: WHEBN0012314838
Reproduction Date:

Title: O-1 (airship)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of aircraft by tail number
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

O-1 (airship)

O-1
Role Semi-rigid Airship
Manufacturer SCDA
First flight 27 March 1919 at Ciampino, Italy
Introduction First US flight 16 September 1919
Retired Late 1921 or early 1922
Primary user United States Navy
Number built 1
Unit cost
$50,000

The SCDA O-1 was an Italian semi-rigid airship, the only true semi-rigid airship to serve with the United States Navy.

Operational service

The O-1 was ordered from Stabilimento Costruzioni Dirigibili ed Aerostati (SCDA) by the United States Navy. Its first flight was made at Ciampino, Italy, on 27 March 1919. Following tests, it was sent from Genoa, Italy, leaving on 24 May 1919. It was sent to Akron for study and was then erected at the airship base at Cape May, New Jersey. The O-1 first flew in the USA on 16 September 1919. While operating from Cape May, the O-1 lost all power on a landing approach and was blown to near Pennsville, New Jersey where the crew managed to land it. The O-1 was eventually returned to service and while on temporary duty at Hampton Roads the O-1 was used to launch gliders designed to be anti-aircraft targets. The date the O-1 was scrapped is not known, but was probably in the winter of 1921-22.

Operators

 United States

Specifications O-1

  • Crew: 3
  • Volume: 127,000 cu ft
  • Length: 177.8 ft)
  • Diameter: 35.4 ft
  • Gross lift: 9,125 lbs
  • Empty weight: 5,850 lbs
  • Useful lift: 3,290 lbs
  • Keel: Articulated steel
  • Powerplant: Two, Colombo, 125 hp

References

  • Shock, James R., "U.S. Navy Airships 1915-1962, Edgewater, Florida, Atlantis Productions, 2001, ISBN 0-9639743-8-6
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.