World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Paso del Rey

Article Id: WHEBN0017097149
Reproduction Date:

Title: Paso del Rey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: José Gervasio Artigas, Greater Buenos Aires, Moreno Partido, Moreno, Buenos Aires, Merlo, Buenos Aires, National Route 7 (Argentina), Victor Heredia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Paso del Rey

Paso del Rey

Location in Greater Buenos Aires

Coordinates: 34°39′S 58°45′W / 34.650°S 58.750°W / -34.650; -58.750Coordinates: 34°39′S 58°45′W / 34.650°S 58.750°W / -34.650; -58.750

Country  Argentina
Province Partido Moreno
Elevation 12 m (39 ft)
Population (2001 census [INDEC])
 • Total 41,775
CPA Base B 1742
Area code(s) +54 0237

Paso del Rey is a city located 35,5 km from Buenos Aires, in Moreno, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.

Paso del Rey (English: King's Ford) takes its name from the estancia (ranch) owned by Senator Amancio Jacinto Alcorta: Estancia Paso del Rey.

The surrounding area was well-known since colonial times because there was a ford which provided a useful crossing place to get the west bank of the Reconquista River. In fact, Charles Darwin could have crossed the ford in his journey from Buenos Aires to Luján on September 27 1833 (the only alternative crossing was a wooden bridge known as Puente de Márquez, 4.5 km north).

According to the 2001 census [INDEC], the population was 41,775.

Paso del Rey is bordered by Moreno City (west), Trujui (north) and Merlo and Reconquista River (south).

History

The origin of the city goes back to 1938 when the British-owned railway company Buenos Aires Western Railway Co. opens a railway stop between the railway stations of Moreno and Merlo; it was thanks to the efforts of the textile businessman Tercilio Zoccola.

External links

  • (Spanish) Municipal website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.