World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pimento, Indiana

Article Id: WHEBN0014330528
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pimento, Indiana  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Vigo County, Indiana, November 1992 tornado outbreak
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pimento, Indiana

Pimento
Unincorporated town
Indiana
Vigo County, Indiana

Coordinates: 39°18′34″N 87°22′45″W / 39.30944°N 87.37917°W / 39.30944; -87.37917Coordinates: 39°18′34″N 87°22′45″W / 39.30944°N 87.37917°W / 39.30944; -87.37917

Country United States
State Indiana
County Vigo
Township Linton
Elevation[1] 600 ft (200 m)
ZIP code 47802
FIPS code 18-59868[2]
GNIS feature ID 441145

Pimento is an unincorporated town in Linton Township, Vigo County, Indiana. It is part of the Terre Haute Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Pimento has one listing on the National Register of Historic Places, the Linton Township High School and Community Building.

History

Formerly known as Hartford, Pimento was laid out in 1852 by Israel French. The name was changed to Pimento when it became a railroad station on the Evansville & Terre Haute Railroad. Thomas French made the first location in the place and put up a store. The next year came Harvey Weeks, who became a partner in the store. N. B. Bennett began a drug store in 1865, and then a grocery store. A large flour mill was built in 1877, and a tavern, large dry goods store and blacksmith shop soon followed. A town-house was erected in 1858 and the lower part used as a school house.[3]

Geography

Pimento is located at 39°18′34″N 87°22′45″W / 39.30944°N 87.37917°W / 39.30944; -87.37917.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.