World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Principality of Slutsk

Article Id: WHEBN0040401000
Reproduction Date:

Title: Principality of Slutsk  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Principality of Minsk, Principality of Polotsk, Principality of Murom, Principality of Smolensk, Principality of Ryazan
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Principality of Slutsk

The Principality of Slutsk (Belarusian: Слуцкае княства) was originally a specific Turov Principality of land in the 12th through 14th centuries. It stood out in 1160 and took shape in the 1190s. It became a large feudal principality in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

History

The first mention of Slutsk (Sluchesk) is found in the Tale of Bygone Years circa 1116: Ming Prince Gleb Vseslavich entered into the territory of Vladimir Monomakh and fought Dregoviches Sluchesk Pozega. Although the principality is mentioned in archival documents as early as 1086 and the Bishop of NS Sestrentsovich mentioned it in 1096. News of Slutsk allegedly appears in the Slutskaya hymnals of the 11th century. But the original documents are not available. The most reliable available source is the chronicle Tale of Bygone Years.

Occupied the territory of the Neman and Lani to bird and Pripyat, the city included Slutsk, Kopylov Petric, Timkovichi, Urechye, Luban, Old Road, Umgovichi, Tal, Tundra and others.

The first known owner of Slutzk was Yuri Dolgoruky. In 1149 it passed into the possession of Sluck Seversky Prince Svyatoslav. In 1160-1162 the Slutsky Duchy grandson Vladimir Monomakh (Vladimir Mstislavich) took ownership. Against him was a coalition of princes, led by his brother, the Prince of Kiev Rostislav Mstislavich. Their armies besieged Slutsk and Vladimir Mstislavich was forced to surrender. Two years later the principality was taken by the descendants of Prince George Jaroslavich Turov. In 1387 in a document referred to Prince Yury Slutsky, the last of the dynasty.

At the beginning of the 13th century, Slutskoe principality, as well as other fiefdoms on Turov land, became dependent on the Galicia/Volyn principality. In 1320 the Slutskoe principality joined in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1395, the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas, passed Slutskoe principality to the brother of the Polish King Jagiello Prince Vladimir Olgerdovich, it became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and for two centuries Sluck was one of the political and cultural centers of the state. Until the end of the 14th century, it was ruled by Rurik princes of the Turov line. After Olgerdovich's death in 1440, together with Sluck, Kopylov went to his son and the heirs of Olelko Olelkovich, Seeds, Mikhail, George and Simeon.

Olelko Putin, in 1440, received the principality of Kiev, and the governor left the principality of Slutsky to Olelko's eldest son, Seeds. After the 1454 death of Alexander Olelko, Simeon received the principality of Kiev and youngest son Mikhail began to reign in Slutsk by 1481. After Seeds' death, Mikhail expected the throne of Kiev, but was unsuccessful. He and supporters Prince Fedor Ivanovich Belsky and Ivan Yu Golshansky decided to overthrow the Grand Duke of Lithuania Casimir IV and to build on the Lithuanian throne Mikhail, as a descendant of Grand Duke Algirdas. But the plot was exposed, and Mikhail was executed in 1481 in the town square of Vilnius. Slutskoe principality executed Mstislav Anna (daughter of Prince Ivan Mstsislavsky) and young son Simeon II, who was prince from 1481 to 1503.

Slutskoe was the last an independent principality of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. It was the only bastion of Orthodoxy in the area.

Princely court

The princely court from 1670-1705 hosted a printing house. From 1738 to 1755, a cloth manufacturer was there. In the years 1730-1884, a manufacturer of silk belts and from 1751-1760 Radziwill theater shared the space.

In 1791, the principality was liquidated, becoming Slucheretsky Povet Novogrudskii province.

With the second partition of Poland in 1793 Sluchchina was ceded to Russia, forming Slutsky District in the Minsk Voblast. Stephanie Radziwill, last in the royal line in Slutsk, moved to live with her husband the Count Ludwig Wittgenstein.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.