World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rector Street (IRT Broadway - Seventh Avenue Line)

Article Id: WHEBN0025746922
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rector Street (IRT Broadway - Seventh Avenue Line)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: South Ferry loops (New York City Subway), South Ferry – Whitehall Street (New York City Subway)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rector Street (IRT Broadway - Seventh Avenue Line)

Rector Street
NYCS 1
New York City Subway rapid transit station
Uptown platform
Station statistics
Address Rector Street & Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10006
Borough Manhattan
Locale Financial District
Coordinates

40°42′29″N 74°00′47″W / 40.708°N 74.013°W / 40.708; -74.013Coordinates: 40°42′29″N 74°00′47″W / 40.708°N 74.013°W / 40.708; -74.013

Division A (IRT)
Line       IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line
Services       1 all times (all times)
Connection

Structure Underground
Platforms 2 side platforms
Tracks 2
Other information
Opened July 1, 1918; 96 years ago (1918-07-01)
Closed September 11, 2001; 12 years ago (2001-09-11)
Rebuilt September 15, 2002; 11 years ago (2002-09-15)
Traffic
Passengers (2012)3,055,453[1] Increase 15.9%
Rank 156 out of 421
Station succession
Next north Chambers Street: 1 all times
Cortlandt Street: no regular service
Next south South Ferry loops: 1 all times
South Ferry (2009 station): no regular service

Rector Street is a station on the IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of Rector Street and Greenwich Street in Lower Manhattan, it is served by the 1 train at all times.

This underground station, opened on July 1, 1918, has two tracks and two side platforms. Each platform has mosaic trim line and name tablets of mostly green and brown. The tiles are painted light green below the "R" tablets.

This station has five fare control areas and there are no crossover between the uptown and downtown sides. On the northern end of the downtown platform, there are two High Entry/Exit Turnstiles leading to one street stair that goes up to the northwest corner of Rector and Greenwich Streets coming from two high entrance turnstiles directly on the platform. In the middle of the platform, two staircases lead up to a tiny intermediate level where a single exit-only turnstile leads to a staircase that goes up midblock on Greenwich Street between Rector and Edgar Streets. The last fare control area for this side at the south end has HEET turnstiles leading to a single staircase that goes up to just south of Edgar Street in a plaza that ends Greenwich Street due to the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel.

Directly across the street from this area, there are two street stairs that lead down to two HEET turnstiles on the uptown platform. A single staircase at the northern end of this platform leads to the tiny, full-time mezzanine. It has a turnstile bank, token booth, and one street stair that leads to the north corner of Rector and Greenwich Streets.

After the September 11, 2001 attacks, the subway tunnels around Cortlandt Street collapsed, and the line was closed until September 15, 2002. During the intervening period, the station was renovated.

Due to water damage to South Ferry caused by Hurricane Sandy, all 1 trains terminated at this station until April 4, 2013, when the former South Ferry Loop terminal station reopened.[2]

Station layout

Street Level Exit/ Entrance
platform Side platform, Doors will open on the right
Northbound NYCS 1 toward Van Cortlandt Park – 242nd Street (Chambers Street)
(No service: Cortlandt Street)
Southbound NYCS 1 toward South Ferry loops (Terminus)
Side platform, Doors will open on the right

Image gallery

References

External links

  • nycsubway.org—IRT West Side Line: Rector Street
  • Station Reporter — 1 Train
  • Rector Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
  • south entrance near Brooklyn Battery Tunnel from Google Maps Street View
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.