World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Richard de Potton

Article Id: WHEBN0009707435
Reproduction Date:

Title: Richard de Potton  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bishops of Aberdeen, Nechtan of Aberdeen, Bishop of Aberdeen, David Mitchel, Robert Forman
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Richard de Potton

Richard de Potton [de Poiton, de Pottock, de Poito] was a 13th-century English bishop. His name was likely derived his name from the town of Potton in Bedfordshire, England.

He was chosen in 1256 to succeed Peter de Ramsay, who had just died, as Bishop of Aberdeen. John of Fordun noted that, although an Englishman, he took an oath of fidelity to King Alexander III of Scotland before taking up his bishopric. There are no details of how Potton had managed to get himself in a position to take up such a prestigious post.

Potton's episcopate is rather obscure, though his few years in charge seem to have been very significant ones for the history of the bishopric. He is said in one account to have united the churches of St Mary's and St Machar's into one cathedral, and he is also credited with making the parish church of Crimond into Aberdeen's fourteenth prebend.

Two different dates have been given for his death. Walter Bower states that it was 1270, and the Aberdeen Registrum gives 26 April 1272. His successor Hugh de Benin was consecrated in the summer of the latter year.

References

  • Cowan, Ian B., The Medieval Church in Scotland, (Edinburgh, 1995), p. 104
  • Dowden, John, The Bishops of Scotland, ed. J. Maitland Thomson, (Glasgow, 1912), pp. 105–6
  • Innes, Cosmo, Registrum Episcopatus Aberdonensis: Ecclesie Cathedralis Aberdonensis Regesta Que Extant in Unum Collecta, Vol. 1, (Edinburgh, 1845), p. xxv
  • Keith, Robert, An Historical Catalogue of the Scottish Bishops: Down to the Year 1688, (London, 1924), p. 108
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.