World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0001019653
Reproduction Date:

Title: Roosky  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Carrick-on-Shannon, River Shannon, Athlone, Albert Reynolds, Abbey River, Limerick
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Roosky, on the River Shannon
Roosky, on the River Shannon
Roosky is located in Ireland
Location in Ireland
Country Ireland
Province Connacht
County County Roscommon
Elevation 75 m (246 ft)
Population (2002)
 • Urban 198
 • Rural 505
Irish Grid Reference N055870

Not to be confused with Русский, demonym, Russian Federation.

Roosky, Ruskey, or Rooskey (Irish: Rúscaigh, meaning "swamp" or "bog") is a village on the River Shannon in County Roscommon, Ireland in the northern midlands of Ireland, near the point where counties Leitrim, Longford, and Roscommon meet. The N4 road from Dublin to Sligo passes by the Leitrim side of the village.


  • History 1
  • Facilities 2
  • Culture 3
  • Tourism 4
  • Education 5
  • Industry 6
  • Rail Access 7
  • Sport 8
  • Notable residents 9
  • See also 10


Roosky has had a colourful history. In 1798 the local rebels defeated the army of General Lake on the shores of Lough Bofin as part of the 1798 rebellion.

There was also a 'Pleasure House' on the shores of the same lake. This included a man-made beach, and was only accessible to people from the Anglo-Irish Protestant class. This was later burned down. The Protestant church, in the centre of the village, was also attacked at this time .

The village was a lively market village in the mid 20th Century. The bridge was the scene of conflict during the Irish Civil War in 1922 and was also an important focal point for the National Farmers Association strike in 1967.

St. Patrick is thought to have visited the area between 438 and 440. In October 2013 various employees from the Vista Med medical device plant won the National Lottery with another Vista Med plant in nearby Carrick on Shannon, for an amount of €2,000,000.


Our Lady of Mount Carmel, the Roman Catholic church built in 1844, holds regular masses. The village has a supermarket, hairdressers, a Garda Station and bars. The community centre is located on the site of the old primary school.

There are five pubs in business in Roosky; on the Roscommon side: CJ's, Cox's Bar, The Kon Tiki, and on the Leitrim side: The Weir Lodge and Reynolds'.


The Shannon Key West Hotel was an entertainment venue in the village, until it went into liquidation, closing its doors on October 18, 2011.[1] Every second year the village stages the annual "Spraoi Festival" regatta, usually during the August Bank Holiday weekend. In recent years the Lough Rynn Harvest Festival was also staged in the village.

River Shannon at Roosky


Roosky is a well known tourist destination. It is a popular destination for anglers, as the River Shannon and the nearby loughs are well stocked with coarse fish including roach, perch and bream. The harbour and marina are especially busy in the summer, with cruise vessels regularly stopping by.

Outdoor activities enjoyed locally include watersports, horse-riding, pony-trekking and walking.


The village is served by the local primary school, Our Lady of Mount Carmel N.S., which was opened in 1997.


On May 8, 2002, a fire at the Glanbia Factory brought an end to bacon production, which had been the heartbeat of the village for over 50 years. Although the factory will not be rebuilt there is hope that the site itself will create much-needed jobs. On The Leitrim side there is also a test tube making factory.

Rail Access

The nearest railway station is located on the County Leitrim side of the River Shannon at Dromod which is which is on the Dublin-Sligo line.


Roosky is represented in both GAA and soccer by Kilglass Gaels and Dynamo Rooskey, respectively. The village's GAA team was formerly known as Pat Molloy's during the 1910s to 1950s. This club then amalgamated with Slatta Parnellites, Tarmonbarry and Kilmore to form St. Barry's Ruskey. The club won the Junior championship in 1969 when Anthony Mc Hugh led them to victory. The Kilglass Gaels Club was founded in 1983 and celebrated its silver anniversary in 2008. 2007 was a great year for the club, winning 7 county titles at various levels. The club has won championships at every grade, except senior, including the Intermediate Championship in 1999. In 2008 the club claimed the Junior "A" Championship after many years of competing at this level. The club also have recently won a senior ladies county title 2009.

Dynamo Rooskey F.C. was founded in 1978. The club was known previously as Rooskey Rangers. 'The Ger's' had a fierce rivalry with Longford Town F.C., before the latter was admitted to the League of Ireland. Roosky clubs have historically punched above their weight. The club's finest hour came when they shocked the famed Drumcondra F.C. 3-1 in the 1958 FAI Cup 2nd Round. In the next round Rangers were soundly beaten 4-0 by Cork Hibernians at Quinn's Field. Other notable cup scalps include Portlaoise, Tullamore Town and Castlebar Celtic. In 1987 Dynamo lost the League on goal difference to Clones Town, after having what would've been a late winner ruled out for offside against Cavan Town on the final day. In 2000, Dynamo controversially lost 2 cup finals, to Longford Wanderers at Dalymount Park and to Connolly Celtic.

Fallout from financial management difficulties caused the club to enter a period of examinership in 2010 and was subject to a winding up order taken by the Office of the Revenue Commissioners.

There are three 18-hole golf courses in the area, including a Nick Faldo-designed Championship Golf Course at Lough Rynn.

Notable residents

The village is noted for being the birthplace of the 8th Taoiseach of Ireland, Albert Reynolds. It was also the birthplace of Michael Whelahan, who co-founded and captained Hibernian F.C. in 1878.

See also

  1. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.