World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway

Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway
Locale Central Arizona
Dates of operation 1891–1911
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Headquarters Prescott, Arizona

The Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway (SFP&P) was a common carrier railroad that later became an operating subsidiary of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway in Arizona. At Ash Fork, Arizona, the SFP&P connected with Santa Fe's operating subsidiary, the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad mainline, that ran from California to Chicago. The SFP&P's 195-mile (314 km) line extended the Santa Fe Railway south into Phoenix. The SFP&P extended another 100 miles (160 km) to the east from Phoenix to Florence and Winkelman via the Phoenix and Eastern Railroad (which would become a Southern Pacific Railroad subsidiary in 1907). The SFP&P also served several mines in the Prescott area through its various subsidiary railroads.

On December 28, 1911, the line was merged into Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway's non-operating subsidiary (paper railroad) of the California, Arizona and Santa Fe Railway. Today the line from Ash Fork to Phoenix is operated by the BNSF Railway.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Motive power 2
    • Operating railroads 2.1
  • Route 3
    • Mainline 3.1
    • Branches 3.2
  • See also 4
  • References 5

History

The SFP&P was chartered on May 27, 1891. Construction commenced on August 17, 1892, from the Atlantic & Pacific connection at Ash Fork. By April 1893 trains were operating between Ash Fork and Prescott. On March 13, 1895, the line ran all the way to Phoenix.

On June 30, 1899, the SFP&P began operating the Prescott and Eastern Railroad that ran between Entro (near Prescott) to Mayer. In 1901–02 the SFP&P also operated its subsidiary the Bradshaw Mountain Railroad.

On November 27, 1904, the SFP&P started operating Santa Fe Railway's subsidiary, the Phoenix and Eastern Railroad between Phoenix - Florence - Winkelman. The SFP&P stopped operating the Phoenix & Eastern when Southern Pacific Railroad acquired the Phoenix–Winkelman line on March 13, 1907.

On November 1, 1905, the SFP&P began operating the Arizona & California Railway that ran from a connection with the Santa Fe Railway in the Mojave Desert at Cadiz, California, to a connection with SFP&P at Matthie, Arizona, (located between Prescott and Wickenburg). By the end of 1909 the Arizona & California was an operating subsidiary of the SFP&P, using 3 4-6-0 locomotives made by Brooks Locomotive Works.

On December 29, 1911, the SFP&P was merged into the California, Arizona and Santa Fe Railway, a non-operating subsidiary (paper railroad) of the Santa Fe Railway.

Motive power

The SFP&P operated a fleet of about 27 steam locomotives. 21 of the locomotives were Brooks Locomotive Works 4-6-0 (also known as a Chesapeake or Ten-wheeler, UIC classification 2'C) steam locomotives built between 1893-1903. Most of these locomotives would be renumbered ATSF #2421-2435.

The SFP&P also had six Brooks Locomotive Works 2-8-0 (also known as a Consolidation) steam locomotives built between 1904-1906. These locomotives would be renumbered ATSF #2439-2444.

Operating railroads

  • 1897–1911 by the Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix Railway
  • 1912– by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway

Route

Mainline

Branches

The Arizona & California gave ATSF a more direct route from Los Angeles to Phoenix.

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.