World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Sequoia Hall

Front Entrance to the new Sequoia Hall, built in 1998.
Sequoia Hall in 1891, then named Roble Hall and used as a women's dormitory.

Sequoia Hall is the home of the Statistics Department on the campus of Stanford University in Stanford, California.

History

In 1891, the original building opened as Roble Hall, a three-story women's dormitory. Roble Hall housed the first women admitted to Stanford. In 1917, a new women's dormitory also called Roble Hall was constructed on another part of campus and the earlier building was renamed Sequoia Hall and renovated as a men's dormitory. During World War I, Sequoia Hall was used by the Army for officers attending the War Department civilian defense school.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Sequoia Hall fell into disrepair and was vacant by 1945. In 1957, the building was deemed an earthquake hazard. The top two stories of the building were demolished and the bottom floor was renovated. The renovated building became home to the Statistics Department.

In the late 1980s, Stanford University began planning a $120 million Science and Engineering Quad (SEQ) Project, scheduled to be completed by 1999. Part of this project included the construction of a new building for Statistics. On August 22, 1996, the original Sequoia Hall was demolished to make way for the new facility. The new Sequoia Hall opened January 17, 1998 on an adjacent site. The 14,000-square-foot (1,300 m2) facility is current home to the Statistics Department.

Further reading

  • Todd, Ruth (Fall 1996), "Sequoia Hall", Sandstone & Tile: Journal of the Stanford Historical Society 20 (4): 4–9, retrieved 2007-06-06 
  • Bartholomew, Karen (Nov–Dec 2001), "Century at Stanford", Stanford Magazine, retrieved 2007-06-06 
  • "Statisticians dedicate new building, celebrate 50 years" (Press release). Stanford University News Service. 1998-01-21. Retrieved 2007-06-06. 

External links

  • Official website of the Statistics Department at Stanford University

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.