World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sheboygan Press

Article Id: WHEBN0008509230
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sheboygan Press  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Monaco, Lorenzo Bandini, Blue Harbor Resort, Gail Kane, Ruth Hiatt, American Airlines Flight 723, Bob Ryan (mayor)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Sheboygan Press

The Sheboygan Press
Type Daily newspaper
Format Broadsheet
Owner Gannett Company
Publisher Kevin Corrado
Editor Nhia Yang[1]
Founded 1907 (as The Sheboygan Daily Press)
Headquarters 632 Center Ave.
Sheboygan, WI 53081
 United States
Official website

The Sheboygan Press is a daily newspaper based in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. It is part of the Gannett Company chain of newspapers as part of their northeastern and north-central Wisconsin cluster of publications. The Sheboygan Press is primarily distributed in Sheboygan County.

The Sheboygan Press also publishes the Shoreline Chronicle, a free shopper paper, Moxie, which features articles and news about senior citizens, and the Today's Real Estate realty listings magazine. All Press publications were printed at Gannett's printing facility in Fond du Lac from 1998 until its closing in 2009, when Gannett contracted with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel to print all Press publications in Milwaukee.


The Sheboygan Press began on December 17, 1907, with the first edition of The Sheboygan Daily Press.[2] At the time the area was mainly dominated by the local German language newspapers in line with the city's heavy German immigrant population, which was the main source of news in the community until after World War I and the rise of Americanization, when eventually the Press ended up the lone English-language publication in the community through a line of mergers and foldings of other papers. Daily would be removed from the nameplate as time went on.

Eventually the paper enlisted the financial help of Charles H. Weisse, a Sheboygan Falls businessman and congressman, who hired Charles E. Broughton as editor in 1908. Ownership was shared with the Bowler family, who had invested in the paper in 1912. The Press grew in circulation over the decades, outgrowing three older buildings already existing downtown before moving into their current purpose-built building at the intersection of Center Avenue and North 7th Street in 1925. Broughton's influence remains in the community, with the north side road along the Lake Michigan shoreline named Broughton Drive in his honor as part of campaigns by him and his wife and the paper for beautification of the community.

In 1928, the newspaper founded radio station WHBL (1330), which remained with the company until the 1970s.

The paper continued to be locally owned by the Bowler and extended Werner families until 1986, when The Press was sold to Ingersoll Publications Co. The Press added a Sunday edition on October 18, 1987. The paper was sold to The Thomson Corporation in January 1990. In May 1998, The Sheboygan Press' 50-year-old letterpress was retired, which remained in the building until it was disassembled in 2012, and publication moved to Fond du Lac, and eventually, Milwaukee. Around this same time the publication converted from an afternoon newspaper, which it had been for its entire existence, to morning delivery in line with the decline of afternoon papers in general.

Gannett purchased The Sheboygan Press in August 2000 as part of its purchase of the Thomson newspaper assets, making it part of their network of newspapers in the northeastern and north-central parts of Wisconsin, with collaborative publications and efforts between the publications occurring often. The newspaper's website, which began as a bare-bones effort in 1998, eventually took on most of the features found on most Gannett newspaper sites. The company's main small-market 'eight free articles per month' subscription model took effect on the Press's website on June 26, 2012.

The paper's offices are expected to move in the near future, as Gannett placed the Press building on the market in May 2013, citing that the newspaper's current operations only take up an eighth of the building's existing square footage.[3]



External links

  • Twitter
  • Facebook


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.