World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Stanley Harbour

Article Id: WHEBN0010643038
Reproduction Date:

Title: Stanley Harbour  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Port William, Falkland Islands, Camber Railway, East Falkland, Transport in the Falkland Islands, Lady Elizabeth (1879)
Collection: East Falkland
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Stanley Harbour

Stanley Harbour from the air, with the hulk of Lady Elizabeth in the foreground
Stanley Harbour and the town, from the air
Early mapping of Stanley Harbour (Dom Pernety, 1769)

Stanley Harbour is a large inlet on the east coast of East Falkland island. A strait called "the Narrows" leads into Port William.

It serves the town of the same name - Stanley - as a harbour. Stanley has sprawled along the south shore of the harbour, to gain shelter from the low hill of Stanley Common. As such this is the busiest waterway of the Falkland Islands and frequently visited by cruise ships, freighters and navy vessels, although this has lessened since the building of the two airports at RAF Mount Pleasant and Port Stanley Airport. It was formerly, and still is to some extent, a repair yard for vessels damaged in South Atlantic storms, or needing to restock.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • Shipwrecks 2
  • History 3
    • Early history 3.1
    • First World War 3.2
    • Second World War 3.3
    • Falklands War and after 3.4
  • Sources 4

Geography

The peninsula on which Canopus Hill, Port Stanley Airport and Gypsy Cove lie, together with a narrow spit of land known as Navy Point, effectively divides Port William from Stanley Harbour. This in turn creates a small bay in Stanley Harbour known as the Canache, which is bridged at one end.

Stanley Harbour is effectively the enlarged estuary of Moody Brook, which flows into it at the west end. It was enlarged as the result of glacial action.

Shipwrecks

Stanley Harbour has experienced a number of shipwrecks. The remains of the following can still be seen -

  • Lady Elizabeth - at the east end, near the Canache, a three masted freighter, which sank in 1913, after hitting a reef and limping into harbour.
  • Jhelum - an East Indiaman, which sank in 1871, and was abandoned by its crew.
  • Charles Cooper - An American packet, sank in 1866, used now as storage space, by the Falkland Islands Company.

History

Early history

Stanley Harbour was originally known as Beau Port[1] (French), later Port Jackson, and has sometimes been known as "Port Stanley".

First World War

In December 1914, the harbour was the base for a British Squadron lying in wait for the German Far East Squadron led by Adm. Graf von Spee. The first shots of the battle were fired by HMS Canopus, which had been grounded in Stanley Harbour as a guardship. Her gunfire was directed from a low hill on the peninsula, henceforth called Canopus Hill.

Second World War

During the Battle of the River Plate in December 1939, the Graf Spee concentrated fire upon the Exeter inflicting some 40 direct hits and causing major damage. On the 16 December, Exeter limped into Stanley Harbour, with 60 of the 600 crew dead and 49 wounded. The crew had to be boarded out in Stanley as Exeter was too badly damaged.

Falklands War and after

In the aftermath of the Falklands War, Stanley Harbour was the departure point for many of the Argentine POWs being transported back to continental Argentina.

Due to the lack of accommodation, for a while, British troops were billetted on boats in the harbour. This continued until adequate provision was made elsewhere.

Due to the construction of a port at Mare Harbour, Stanley Harbour no longer deals with much military transport. Instead, it is mainly used as the main freight gateway to the islands, and is visited frequently by cruise ships.

Sources

  1. ^ Dom Pernety, Antoine-Joseph. Journal historique d'un voyage fait aux Iles Malouïnes en 1763 et 1764 pour les reconnoître et y former un établissement; et de deux Voyages au Détroit de Magellan, avec une Rélation sur les Patagons. Berlin: Etienne de Bourdeaux, 1769. 2 volumes, 704 pp. Online vol. 1 & vol. 2. Abridged English version.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.