World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sutton House, London

Article Id: WHEBN0004087716
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sutton House, London  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: North Cross Route, Royal Museums Greenwich, Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art, Queen's Gallery, Rainham Hall
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sutton House, London

Sutton House
Sutton House, the oldest house in Hackney
Former names Bryck Place
General information
Type Manor house
Architectural style Tudor
Location Homerton High Street, Hackney, London, England
Coordinates
Completed 1535 (1535)
Renovated 1993
Client Sir Ralph Sadleir
Owner National Trust
Technical details
Material Red brick
Designations Grade II* listed
Website
/sutton-house.uk.org.nationaltrustwww

Sutton House is a Grade II*-listed Tudor manor house in Homerton High Street, Hackney, London, England. It is owned by the National Trust.

History

Originally known as 'Bryck Place', Sutton House was built in 1535 by Sir linen fold' room, Tudor windows and carved fireplaces survive intact, and an exhibition tells the history of the house and its former occupants.

At the turn of the 18th century, Hackney was renowned for its many schools, and Sutton House contained a boys' school, with headmaster Dr Burnet, which was attended in 1818 by the novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton. The building next became Milford House girls' school.[1]

The name is a mis-attribution to Thomas Sutton, founder of Charterhouse School, who was another notable Hackney resident, in the adjacent Tan House. This was demolished in 1806 to allow for the extension of Sutton Place, a terrace of 16 Georgian Houses (Grade II listed).

Sutton House was bought by the National Trust in the 1930s with the proceeds of a bequest. During World War II it was used as a centre for Fire Wardens, who kept watch from the roof. From the 1960s it was rented by the ASTMS Union, led by its charismatic general secretary Clive Jenkins. When the union left in the early 1980s, the house fell into disrepair.

The house is the oldest surviving domestic building in Hackney. It is the second oldest in East London, Bromley Hall, a much modified house of the Tudor period, which survives next to the Blackwall Tunnel approach road, being slightly older; it is not open to the public.

Rescue

In the mid-1980s the building was squatted and used as a music venue and social centre, known as the Blue House (a decorated wall from this time is preserved within the current museum). After the squatters were evicted the building's condition continued to decline. The Sutton House Society, originally known as the Save Sutton House Campaign, which was formed in March 1987, then began a campaign to rescue the building and open it to the public. Renovations were completed in 1991.[2] The building remains in use as a museum, as well as a cafe, an art gallery and a book / gift shop. There is an active schools education programme at the house, together with other community programmes. Sutton House was short-listed for the 2004 Gulbenkian Prize. It is registered for the conduct of marriages.

The weekend of 23 and 24 June 2007 represented the 20th anniversary of the campaign to save the house, and the 500th anniversary of the birth of the builder of the house Raplh Sadleir.

The restoration was completed in 1993 and the house fully opened in 1994

Transport

The closest railway stations are Hackney Central station and Homerton station on the North London Line (part of the London Overground network). Many buses also stop in this area. The pedestrian route from Hackney Central passes St Augustine's Tower Hackney, a remnant of Hackney's Tudor Parish church.

In popular culture

  • Sutton House was used for filming exteriors and interiors for a two-part TV adaptation of the Terry Pratchett novel Hogfather which was shown on Sky One over Christmas 2006.
  • The interior of the house often appears as a backdrop to 'historical documentaries'.
  • Living TV's programme "Most Haunted" investigated the house on 6 March 2007.

References and notes

Morris Dance performance in the courtyard of Sutton House
  1. ^ , A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 148-165Hackney: Education accessed: 26 January 2008.
  2. ^ Sutton House Society Newsletter, June 2007 accessed 23 Jun 2007

Further reading

  • Patrick Wright: A Journey Through Ruins (Radius, 1991)
  • Jennifer Jenkins and Patrick James: From Acorn to Oak Tree (Macmillan, 1994)
  • Victor Belcher, Richard Bond, Mike Gray and Andy Wittrick: Sutton House — a Tudor Courtier’s House in Hackney (English Heritage, 2004)

External links

  • The Sadleir Web
  • Sutton House information at the National Trust
  • Sutton House Music Society
  • Sutton House Society
  • Tudor Hackney (from the National Archives)
  • Flickr pictures tagged Sutton House
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.