World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Teatro Regio Ducal

Article Id: WHEBN0021264645
Reproduction Date:

Title: Teatro Regio Ducal  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Maria Teresa Agnesi Pinottini, Mozart in Italy, Milan, Teatro Regio, Exsultate, jubilate
Collection: Music in Milan, Music Venues Completed in 1717, Opera Houses in Italy, Theatres Completed in 1717, Theatres in Milan
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Teatro Regio Ducal

The Teatro Regio Ducal (Italian, "Royal Ducal Theatre") was the opera house in Milan from 26 December 1717 until 25 February 1776, when it was burned down following a carnival gala. Many famous composers and their operas are associated with it, including the premieres of Mozart's Ascanio in Alba, Mitridate, re di Ponto, and Lucio Silla. Variant forms such as Regio-Ducal Teatro and Teatro Regio Ducale are also seen.

The atmosphere in opera houses at the time was very sociable and congenial, and the Teatro Regio Ducal was no exception. The English traveller and music writer Charles Burney describes its faro tables for gambling, and gives this description:

The theatre here is very large and splendid; it has five rows of boxes on each side, one hundred in each row; and parallel to these runs a broad gallery ... as an avenue to every row of boxes: each box will contain six persons, who sit at the sides, facing each other. Across the gallery of communications is a complete room to every box, with a fireplace in it, and all conveniences for refreshments and cards. In the fourth row is a pharo table, on each side of the house, which is used during the performance of the opera.[1]

After the destruction of the Teatro Regio Ducal, which had been a wing of the Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace), two new theatres were commissioned to be built near the site, both designed by Giuseppe Piermarini. The Nuovo Regio Ducal Teatro alla Scala (with variant forms of its name), the present-day La Scala, was inaugurated on 3 August 1778. The Teatro alla Canobbiana, now called the Teatro Lirico, was inaugurated on 21 August 1779.

References

Notes

  1. ^ Sadie and Zaslaw, pp. 214–215.

Cited sources

  • Sadie S., and Zaslaw, N., Mozart: The Early Years 1756-1781, OUP, 2006 ISBN 0-19-816529-3

Other sources

  • Colussi, P., 2002, 'Palazzo Reale dagli Spagnoli ai Savoia', Storia di Milano. (Accessed 27 January 2009)
  • Fondazione Giorgio Gaber, Press Release: "Nasce a Milano il Teatro Lirico Giorgio Gaber", April 19, 2007. (Accessed 27 January 2009)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.