World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Temple's Ranch

Temple's Ranch, was the ranch and a home of F. P. F. Temple, a wealthy land owner in Los Angeles County, with large business and land holdings of thousands of acres in Madera County and Fresno County including this ranch in Fresno County near the Merced County border.

Temple's Ranch Station

Temple's Ranch was a swing station in the First Division of the Butterfield Overland Mail in Fresno County, California. It was located 13 miles east southeast of Lone Willow Station and 15 miles northwest of Firebaugh's Ferry northwest of what is now Dos Palos.[1][2] The station at Temple's Ranch was located on the west bank of the San Joaquin River, at the home of F. T. F. Temple, the original owner of the property, who was living there in 1858. Temple sold the ranch in 1866.

This section of the mail road along the San Joaquin River and over the plain, west through Lone Willow Station to St. Luis Ranch and Pacheco Pass was described as one of the best for making fast time on the route. The fifteen miles between Firebaugh's Ferry and Temple's Ranch was frequently driven in one hour and twelve minutes.[3]

  1. ^ Historic Spots in California, Third Edition, p.202
  2. ^ List of Stations from New York Times, October 14 1858, Itinerary of the Route
  3. ^ Roscoe Platt Conkling, Margaret Badenoch Conkling, BUTTERFIELD OVERLAND MAIL, 1858-1869, The American Trail Series, Volume 4, Arthur H. Clark, Glendale, 1947, p.294
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.