World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tinsley railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0004567702
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tinsley railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: West Tinsley railway station, Broughton Lane railway station, Sheffield District Railway, Attercliffe Road railway station, Tinsley
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tinsley railway station

Tinsley
Tinsley pump house and derelict outbuilding
Location
Place Tinsley
Area City of Sheffield
Coordinates
Grid reference
Operations
Original company South Yorkshire Railway
Pre-grouping Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway
Great Central Railway
Platforms 2
History
March 1869 Opened
29 October 1951 Closed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Tinsley railway station was a railway station in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, opened in March 1869. The station served the growing community of Tinsley and the workers at the nearby steelworks which had moved to or had been founded in the lower Don Valley following major changes in manufacturing methods in the mid - late 19th century. The station, opened by the South Yorkshire Railway, was built on the line between Sheffield Victoria and Barnsley and became a junction station with the opening of the line from Tinsley Junction (later Tinsley South Junction) to the original Rotherham station by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. The station was located by the main Sheffield to Rotherham road in Tinsley, now on the Sheffield side of M1, Junction 34 in Tinsley.

The station had two platforms, flanking the running lines, and was surrounded by sidings belonging to steel works, in particular Hadfields. Because of the gradients on the line to Barnsley this was also the site of the siding, to the rear of the Barnsley-bound platform, for the "Tinsley Banker", a locomotive, or sometimes locomotives, whose job was to assist (bank / push) trains up the gradients. The station was closed on 29 October 1951.

The Tinsley layout was completed with the opening of the "Tinsley Curve" which enabled trains to run directly from the "Blackburn Valley" line to Rotherham. Although the station is now closed, the

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.