World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Trebino

Article Id: WHEBN0012671624
Reproduction Date:

Title: Trebino  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Makedonski Brod, Makedonski Brod Municipality
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Trebino

Treviño
Municipality
Spain. Treviño is the capital of Condado de Treviño.
Treviño
Treviño
Location in Spain

Coordinates: 42°44′5″N 2°44′50″W / 42.73472°N 2.74722°W / 42.73472; -2.74722Coordinates: 42°44′5″N 2°44′50″W / 42.73472°N 2.74722°W / 42.73472; -2.74722

Country  Spain
Autonomous community  Castile and León
Province Burgos
Comarca Enclave of Treviño
Municipality Condado de Treviño
Government
 • Alcalde Roberto Bajos Argote (pedáneo)
Population (2008)
 • Total 202
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Official language(s) Spanish

Treviño is the capital of the municipality Condado de Treviño, province of Burgos, in the autonomous community of Castile and León, Spain. The Condado de Treviño and the geographically smaller La Puebla de Arganzón make up the enclave of Treviño. Although the enclave is part of Burgos (and, hence, part of the autonomous community of Castile and León) it is surrounded by the province of Álava, part of the autonomous community of the Basque Country. Hence, properly speaking, the enclave of Treviño is an enclave within Álava, and an exclave of Burgos.


History

An abundance of prehistoric remains testify that the Condado de Treviño has been inhabited since ancient times. In pre-Roman times, the Varduls, Caristios and Autrigones all lived here at one time or another, attesting to the region's strategic importance.

At the beginning of the 11th century, Alavese comarcas of the "Río Ivita" began to be established, in the basin of what is now known is the River Ayuda, a tributary of the Zadorra, between the Montes de Vitoria to the north and the Sierra de Toloño and other ranges of the Sierra de Cantabria to the south.

Foundation of the city of Treviño

The earliest surviving written record of the comarca Rigo de Ivita is in a document from 1025, the Reja de San Millán from the Cartulary of San Millán de la Cogolla.[1] The notation "XXXV regas" (regas from regar, to irrigate) next to the name suggests that it was a place of major importance, with more irrigated fields than any other location on the list. Treviño itself was founded by Navarrese king Sancho VI ("Sancho El Sabio", "Sancho the Wise") no later than 1161; some authors say as early as 1151. The date is indeterminate because the text of the fuero is not preserved, but it would clearly have been founded in the same period as the nearby Puebla de Arganzón and Vitoria-Gasteiz. The royal foundation indicates that at that time the region was controlled by the kings of Navarre, not of Castile.

Rule by Castile

After the comarca was conquered in 1199–1200 by Alfonso VIII of Castile, it retained the name of Ivita, Ibidam, or Uda and continued to be identified as a specific part of the land of Álava, as is clearly indicated in De rebus Hispaniae by archbishop Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada. Gradually, the predominance of the town that develops based on fueros granted by Alfonso X of Castile in 1254 supplants the old comarcal name; the area comes to be referred to as de Treviño rather than de Uda, although for about a century the town is known as Treviño de Uda.

Following its incorporation into Castile, a good portion of Álava was organized into behetrías, at least nominally choosing their own local leader. However, Treviño and Vitoria were not included in this plan, remained directly under the control of the monarch as part of the royal seigneury.[2] In 1332, at the Campo de Arriaga the Cofradía ("brotherhood") formally recognized the royal seigneury over Treviño and its surrounding territories.


On 8 April 1366, Henry II of Castile ceded to Pedro Manrique I de Lara, for services rendered, a seigneury consisting of Treviño de Uda and its outlying villages. In 1453 it became the Condado de Treviño as Gómez Manrique, the great-grandson of Pedro Manrique was given the title of Count. The Catholic Monarchs would later (in 1483) grant the title of Duke of Nájera to Gómez Manrique's son Pedro Manrique de Lara, a title that continues in the family down to the present day. In the 16th century these Counts of Treviño, Dukes de Nájera, would build a palace at Treviño, which is now the ayuntamiento (town hall) of the municipality.

Thus Treviño found itself generally left to its own devices as the seat of a noble family, sitting in the middle of Álava, surrounded by communities operating under the more egalitarian fueros typical of the Basque Country.

Annual festivals and events

  • The Fiesta of San Juan Bautista, the patron saint of Treviño proper, is celebrated June 24. When that falls on a weekday, some of the festivities take place on the nearest weekend.
  • Feria de las Moscas ("Fly Fair") The first Sunday in July, unless that falls on 1 July, in which case the fair takes place 8 July.
  • The pilgrimage of San Formerio, the patron saint of Condado de Treviño, place on the Sunday closest to 25 September. The Hermitage of San Formerio is in Pangua, Condado de Treviño.

Notes

This article incorporates information from the revision as of 2010-01-04 of the equivalent article on the español World Heritage Encyclopedia.

External links

  • (Spanish) Condado de Treviño, official site.

ca:Treviño eu:Trebiñu

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.