USS Abingdon

Career
Name: USS Abingdon
Builder: Consolidated Shipbuilding, Morris Heights, New York
Laid down: 14 February 1943
Launched: 3 April 1943
Commissioned: 26 July 1943
Decommissioned: October 1949
Renamed: USS Abingdon, February 1956
Struck: 1 April 1959
Fate: Unknown
General characteristics
Class & type: PC-461 class coastal patrol ship
Displacement: 280 long tons (284 t) light
450 long tons (457 t) full
Length: 173 ft 8 in (52.93 m)
Beam: 23 ft (7.0 m)
Draft: 10 ft 10 in (3.30 m)
Propulsion: 2 × 2,880 bhp (2,148 kW) Hooven-Owens-Rentschler R-99DA diesel engines (Serial No. 7021 and 7022)
Westinghouse single reduction gear
2 shafts
Speed: 20.2 knots (37.4 km/h; 23.2 mph)
Complement: 65
Armament: • 1 × 3"/50 caliber gun
• 1 × 40 mm gun
• 2 × 20 mm guns
• 2 × depth charge tracks
• 4 × depth charge projectors

USS Abingdon (PC-1237) was a PC-461 class coastal patrol ship in the service of the United States Navy, named after the town of Abingdon, Virginia.

She was laid down as the unnamed PC-1237 on 14 February 1943 at Consolidated Shipbuilding in Morris Heights, New York; launched on 3 April 1943, sponsored by Mrs. David Challinor; and commissioned at the New York Navy Yard on 26 July 1943 with Lt. J. F. Weller, Jr. in command.

Service history

World War II

After fitting out, PC-1237 departed New York on 10 August 1943 for New London, Connecticut, arriving there the following day. The submarine chaser then conducted tests under the auspices of the Bureau of Ships for the Underwater Sound Laboratory at New London for the remainder of August. PC-1237 cleared that port on 1 September 1943 for points south; proceeding via Tompkinsville, the ship reached Miami soon thereafter and commenced shakedown training. She completed these evolutions early in October and, proceeding by way of Key West arrived in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on 12 September.

PC-1237 began escorting convoys between Guantanamo Bay and Trinidad soon thereafter, occasionally touching at Kingston, Jamaica, and San Juan, Puerto Rico, during that time period. She performed that duty until early in 1945. At the beginning of February 1945, the submarine chaser was reassigned to temporary duty conducting tests at Antigua for the Naval Research Laboratory, an assignment that occupied her through the remainder of World War II and the early months of 1946. Late in this period, she visited Frederikstad, St. Croix, in the Virgin Islands, for a port call on Navy Day, 27 October 1945.

Post-war operations

On 24 May 1946, PC-1237 departed San Juan and began a voyage that took her northward along the east coast of the United States, touching at Miami and Norfolk en route, and then up the St. Lawrence River to the Great Lakes. There, the ship began training naval reservists of the 9th Naval District.

PC-1237 continued naval reserve training duty until she was placed out of commission, in reserve, in October 1949, and was berthed at Norfolk with the Atlantic Reserve Fleet for almost a decade. During that time, in February 1956, she was named Abingdon. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 April 1959, but her subsequent fate is not known.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

See also

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Abingdon (PC-1237) at NavSource Naval History
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.