USS Gaivota

Career (United States)
Name: USS Gaivota
Namesake: Previous name retained
Builder: A. C. Brown, Tottenville, Staten Island, New York
Completed: 1897
Acquired: 8 June 1917
Commissioned: 13 September 1917
Decommissioned: 11 May 1918
Fate: Returned to owner
Notes: Operated as private steam yacht Gaivota, 1897-1917 and from 1918
General characteristics
Type: Patrol vessel
Tonnage: 74 gross register tons
Length: 91 ft 8 in (27.94 m)
Beam: 15 ft 9 in (4.80 m)
Depth: 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)
Propulsion: Steam engine
Speed: 14 knots
Complement: 7
Armament: 1 x 3-pounder gun
1 x 1-pounder
1 x machine gun

USS Gaivota (SP-436) was a United States Navy patrol vessel in commission from 1917 to 1918.

Gaivota was built as a private steam yacht of the same name in 1897 by A. C. Brown of Tottenville, Staten Island, New York. On 8 June 1917, the U.S. Navy chartered Gaivota from her owner, Alfred C. Maron, for use as a section patrol vessel during World War I. She was fitted out as a patrol craft in the Philadelphia Navy Yard at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and commissioned as USS Gaivota (SP-436) on 13 September 1917 with Lieutenant, junior grade, E. D. Newell, USNRF, in command.

After conducting target practice in the Delaware Bay, Gaivota underwent alterations at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Assigned for duty to the 4th Naval District, she reached Cold Spring, New Jersey, on 9 November 1917 to serve as a unit of the harbor entrance patrol off Cold Spring and Breakwater Harbor, New Jersey, and Lewes, Delaware.

Gaivota returned to the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 19 April 1918 and was decommissioned on 11 May 1918 for return to her owner.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive: Gaivota (SP 436)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.