World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Galatea (SP-714)

Article Id: WHEBN0018461060
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Galatea (SP-714)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Barnegat (SP-1232)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Galatea (SP-714)

Galatea (American Steam Yacht, 1914) probably photographed upon completion by her builder, Pusey and Jones of Wilmington, Delaware.
Career (USA)
Name: USS Galatea
Namesake: A Greek mythological sea nymph
Owner: E. L. Ford, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Builder: Pusey and Jones, Wilmington, Delaware
Laid down: date unknown
Completed: 1914
Acquired: by the Navy 14 July 1917
Commissioned: 25 August 1917 as USS Galatea (SP 714)
Decommissioned: 26 September 1917
In service: 16 November 1917
Out of service: 15 July 1919 at Boston, Massachusetts
Reclassified: District Patrol Craft, USS Galatea (YP-714)
Fate: sold 20 December 1921; fate unknown
Notes: as YP-714, she served as a receiving ship for submarine crews
General characteristics
Type: Yacht
Displacement: 367 tons
Length: 192'
Beam: 24'
Draft: 9'
Propulsion: steam engine
Speed: 14 knots
Complement: 57 officers and enlisted
Armament: Three 3-inch guns

USS Galatea (SP-714/YP-714) was a yacht acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War I. She was outfitted as an armed patrol craft and served in the North Atlantic Ocean. At war’s end she was used as a receiving ship in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, for submariners before being sold in 1921.

A yacht built in Delaware

The second ship to be so named by the U.S. Navy, Galatea was a fresh water yacht built in 1914 by Pusey and Jones of Wilmington, Delaware; purchased by the Navy 14 July 1917 at Detroit, Michigan, from E. L. Ford, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, and commissioned at Detroit 25 August 1917, Lt. Comdr. O. T. McClurg, USNRF, in command.

World War I service

Galatea departed Detroit 25 August 1917 for the Boston Navy Yard where she decommissioned 26 September for conversion to an armed patrol craft. She recommissioned 16 November 1917, Lt. H. D. Hinckley, USCG, in command. Next proceeding to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, she sailed from there for the Azores 15 December 1917 with French Submarine Chaser 314 in tow.

Proceeding by way of Bermuda, Galatea arrived Ponta Delgada, Azores, 22 January 1918, racked and strained by the towing of the submarine chaser. Damage required repairs until May 1919 when she began service as an interisland transport in the Azores.

She carried the American Consul from Ponta Delgada for official calls on the governors of Horta, Fayal and Angra, Terceira, returning to her base in time to honor Navy Seaplane NC-3 on 19 May, and Navy Seaplane NC-4 on 20 May, as they arrived in Ponta Delgada on the historic first transoceanic flight.

Decommissioning and disposal

Galatea departed Ponta Delgada 7 June 1919 for Boston, Massachusetts, where she decommissioned 15 July. The following year she was towed to the Portsmouth Navy Yard in Kittery, Maine, to serve as receiving ship for submarine crews. She was sold at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, 20 December 1921 to Captain A. A. Tanos of New York City.

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.