World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Gloucester (1891)

Article Id: WHEBN0002965804
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Gloucester (1891)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Harry M. P. Huse, Corsair II, USS Gloucester, Corsair, Armed yacht
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Gloucester (1891)

USS Gloucester
1898
History
United States
Name:
  • Corsair II (1891—1898)
  • Gloucester (1898—1919)
Namesake: Gloucester, Massachusetts
Builder: Neafie & Levy
Launched: 1891
Acquired: 23 April 1898
Commissioned: 16 May 1898
Struck: 12 August 1919
Fate: Sold
General characteristics
Type: Gunboat
Displacement: 786 long tons (799 t)
Length: 240 ft 8 in (73.36 m)
Beam: 27 ft 2 in (8.28 m)
Draft: 12 ft (3.7 m)
Speed: 17 kn (20 mph; 31 km/h)
Armament: 4 × 6-pounder (32 mm (1.26 in)) guns

USS Gloucester was a Neafie & Levy of Philadelphia, to a design by John Beavor-Webb. [1] The yacht was acquired by the Navy on 23 April 1898 and commissioned Gloucester on 16 May 1898 with Lieutenant Commander Richard Wainwright in command.

Service history

Gloucester served in Cuban waters in 1898 with the North Atlantic Fleet, Blockading Station. She participated in the Battle of Santiago de Cuba on 3 July against Cervera's fleet. While the main fleets were engaged Gloucester closed with the Spanish torpedo-boat destroyers Pluton and Furor driving them ashore as wrecks with her 6-pounders.[1] The victory came with no casualties, which was attributed to "The accuracy and rapidity of her fire, making the proper service of the guns on the Spanish ships impossible."

On 25 July, she entered the harbor before the fleet at Guánica, Puerto Rico, and captured the place for the U.S. Army in what is known as the Puerto Rican Campaign. The handling and fighting of Gloucester merited the commendation of the Navy Department. As the Army was anxious to transfer the place of disembarkation to the harbor of Ponce, the Fleet was directed to proceed to Ponce to reconnoiter; capture all lighters found there; and occupy such positions necessary for holding the port until the arrival of the Army. On 1 August, with assistance from Wasp, Gloucester took possession of Arroyo, and hoisting the U.S. flag, Wainwright held it until arrival of the Army, a day later.

Corsair as it appeared about 1893.

Subsequently Gloucester cruised along the Eastern seaboard from New York City to Provincetown, Massachusetts in the fall of 1898, and from 1899-1902 served as a schoolship at Annapolis, Maryland. Recommissioned at Norfolk, Virginia on 15 November 1902, she served as tender to the Commander in Chief, South Atlantic Squadron, and cruised to ports in the West Indies and along the east coast of South America.

Decommissioned on 8 February 1905, at Pensacola, Florida, the ship was on duty with the Massachusetts and New York Naval Militias at New York City until recommissioned on 7 April 1917 at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Gloucester conducted harbor patrols at New York City until her name was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 12 August 1919, and she was sold on 21 November.

Awards

References

  1. ^ a b Marine Engineering (1898). "Armed Yacht vs. Torpedo-Boat Destroyers". Marine Engineering (Marine Publishing Company) 2 (August 1898): 15. Retrieved 15 October 2014. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.