World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Gull (AM-74)

Article Id: WHEBN0013257320
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Gull (AM-74)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of ship launches in 1928
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

USS Gull (AM-74)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Gull.

Career (US)
Ordered: as Boston College
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 1928
Acquired: 30 August 1940
Commissioned: 3 December 1940
Decommissioned: 25 July 1944
Struck: 22 August 1944
Fate: May 1946 as a commercial vessel
General characteristics
Displacement: 410 tons
Length: 124 ft 3 in (37.87 m)
Beam: 23 ft (7.0 m)
Draft: 10 ft 8 in (3.25 m)
Speed: 9 knots (17 km/h)
Armament: one 3” gun mount

USS Gull (AM-74) was a minesweeper acquired by the U.S. Navy for the dangerous task of removing mines from minefields laid in the water to prevent ships from passing.

Gull, formerly trawler Boston College, was built by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, in 1928; acquired 30 August 1940; converted at the Boston Yards of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. 30 September 1940; and commissioned 3 December 1940, Lt. Comdr. Ernest L. Posey, USNR, in command.

World War II service

Attached to the Inshore Patrol, Gull conducted minesweeping operations in Massachusetts Bay until 28 March 1941 when she sailed for Norfolk, Virginia, via Yorktown, Virginia. Homeported at Norfolk 6 April to 26 August 1941, she operated along the Atlantic coast as far north as Boston, Massachusetts, until sailing the latter date for Argentia, Newfoundland, where she put in 4 September.

Gull continued her exacting duties as a minesweeper at Argentia until the summer of 1944, calling at Boston for repairs as needed.


She decommissioned at Quincy, Massachusetts, 25 July 1944. Stricken from the Navy List 22 August 1944, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 15 May 1946. She was sold the same month and served commercially as Gudrun.


  • This article incorporates text from the here.

Monday, 15 January 1951 Dragger Gudrun Lost With Crew of 17

Gloucester Men Aboard

   Harry W. O’Connell, Jr. 28 years, married
   Alphonse Sutherland, 51 years, married, nine children
   Wilfred J. Mello, 36 years, married, two sons
   August E. Hill, 45 years, married, one son
   Daniel Williams, 40 years, married, two stepdaughters
   James J. Cavanaugh, 45, married, five children

Others believed to be Crew Members

   Capt. Johan Axel Johannsson, 46, West Medford, owner-master, married two children
   Matthew L. Whalen, 46 years, mate, Somerville, married, 11 children
   Daniel Meagher, 42 years, first engineer, Saugus, married, two children
   Albert Moulden, 63 years, second engineer, Sharon, married
   Frank B. Nickerson, 49 years, Braintree, married, one child
   John Johnson, 68 years, Boston
   John Kozlowski, 62 years, Tolland, Conn.

Last contact made with the Gudrun was at 3.24 o’clock yesterday morning when her owner-skipper Capt. Johan Axel Johannsson, 46 years, of West Medford, sent out a frantic "SOS" to the effect that "We are sinking" and then gave his position as being some 200 miles south of Cape Race, N. F. The Gudrun gave her position as being in longitude 33 degrees, 45 minutes, and latitude 42 degrees, 38 minutes. According to the Coast Guard, that would have placed her at some 200 miles south of Cape Race, Newfoundland. That message was received at Boston at 3.24 o’clock that morning. Monday, 2 January 1951

Coast Guard Abandons Dragger Gudrun Search

No Trace of Missing Boat, Men Large Flotilla of Planes and Surface Craft Had Scoured Thousands of Square Miles in Grand Bank Area For Six Days

External links

  • NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive - Gull (AM 74)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.