USS Gull (AMS-16)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Gull.
San Francisco Bay, c. 1945–46
Career (United States)
Name: USS YMS-324
Builder: Al Larson Boat Shop
Terminal Island, California
Laid down: 3 June 1943
Launched: 14 October 1943
Sponsored by: Mrs. William Toman
Commissioned: 28 February 1944
Renamed: USS Gull (AMS-16), 18 February 1947
Namesake: gull
Reclassified: AMCU-46, 1 August 1954
Decommissioned: 14 January 1958
Reclassified: MHC-46, 7 February 1955
Struck: March 1959
Honors and
awards:
2 battle stars, World War II
9 battle stars, Korean War
Navy Unit Commendation, Korean War
Fate: disposed of in March 1959
General characteristics
Class & type: YMS-135 subclass of YMS-1-class minesweepers
Displacement: 380 tons (f.)
Length: 136 ft (41 m)
Beam: 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)
Draft: 10 ft (3.0 m)
Propulsion: 2 × 880 bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines
2 shafts
Speed: 14 knots (26 km/h)
Complement: 34
Armament: 1 × 3"/50 caliber gun mount
2 × 20 mm guns
2 × depth charge projectors

USS Gull (MHC-46/AMCU-46/AMS-16/YMS-324) was a YMS-1-class minesweeper of the YMS-135 subclass acquired by the U.S. Navy for the task of removing mines that had been placed in the water to prevent ships from passing.

History

The second ship to be named Gull by the Navy, AMS-16 was launched as YMS-324 by the Al Larson Boat Shop, Terminal Island, California, 14 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. William Toman; and commissioned 28 February 1944, Lt. B. F. Silviera, USNR, in command.

After shakedown and minesweeping training, YMS-324 sailed from San Pedro, California, 20 June 1944 via Pearl Harbor and reached Guadalcanal 1 August to prepare for the coming invasion of Peleliu. She put in at Peleliu and swept her first enemy mine 14 September, the day before the famous 1st Marine Division stormed ashore, and for the next month continued minesweeping operations there and at Ulithi. Sailing from Ulithi 14 October for the attack on the Ngulu Islands, the ship swept mines under enemy fire without damage or casualties and subsequently continued her duties at Ulithi until departing 19 March 1945 for Okinawa. YMS-324 aided in clearing the approaches to Okinawa, and remained in those waters until the fall of 1945, returning to San Pedro, California, 20 September 1945, 15 months to the day from the time she left.

Renamed and redesignated Gull (AMS-16) on 18 February 1947, she returned to the western Pacific Ocean in the autumn of 1947, via Pearl Harbor, and conducted peacetime training until putting in at Chinnampo, Korea, 2 November 1950 to support United Nations forces by sweeping mines as part of a group consisting of Thompson (DMS-38), Carmick (DMS-33), Forrest Royal (DD-872), Catamount (LSD-17), Horace A. Bass (APD-124), Pelican (AMS-32), Swallow (AMS-36), LST-Q-007, four Republic of Korea minesweepers, and a helicopter from Rochester (CA-124).[1] Gull remained off Chinnampo for more than a month and through her untiring efforts the approaches to that port were cleared, allowing an evacuation accomplished without loss of life. For this hazardous duty Gull was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation.

On 1 August 1954 Gull was redesignated AMCU-46 and underwent conversion at Yokosuka, Japan. Redesignated again as MHC-46 on 7 February 1955, she returned to Long Beach, California, in May, 1955, and subsequently conducted peacetime training duty out of southern California ports until 14 January 1958. Decommissioned at San Diego, California, that date, she was disposed of in March 1959.

Awards and honors

YMS-324 was awarded two battle stars for World War II service and Gull was awarded nine battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for Korean War service.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of Gull at NavSource Naval History
  • Photo Gallery at Naval Historical Center
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.