USS Hunting


USS Hunting following her 1954 conversion to a Sonar Research Ship
Career
Name: USS LSM-398
Ordered: 1944
Builder: Charleston Navy Yard
Laid down: 16 December 1944
Launched: 6 January 1945
Commissioned: 6 August 1945, as USS LSM-398
Decommissioned: 23 November 1962
Renamed: USS Hunting, 13 June 1957
Reclassified: E-AG-398, 13 June 1957
Refit: Converted to sonar research ship, June 1953-October 1954
Fate: Sold for scrapping, 30 July 1963
Scrapped between 1980 and 1989
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 1,095 long tons (1,113 t) full load
Length: 203 ft 6 in (62.03 m) o/a
Beam: 34 ft 6 in (10.52 m)
Draft: Light :
3 ft 6 in (1.07 m) forward
7 ft 8 in (2.34 m) aft
Full load :
6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) forward
8 ft 3 in (2.51 m) aft
Propulsion: 2 × General Motors (non-reversing with airflex clutch) diesels, direct drive with 1,440 bhp (1,074 kW) each at 720 rpm, twin screws
Speed: 13.2 knots (24.4 km/h; 15.2 mph) (928 tons displacement)
Range: 4,900 nmi (9,100 km) at 12 kn (22 km/h; 14 mph) (928 tons displacement)
Capacity: 5 medium tank or 3 heavy tanks, or 6 LVT's, or 9 DUKW's
Troops: 2 officers, 46 enlisted
Complement: 5 officers, 54 enlisted
Armament: • 1 × single 40 mm
• 4 × single 20 mm AA gun mounts
Armor: 10-lb. STS splinter shield to gun mounts, pilot house and conning station

USS Hunting (E-AG-398) was an of the United States Navy. Launched as the LSM-398 by Charleston Naval Yard, on 6 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. T. B. Thompson; and commissioned on 6 August 1945, Lieutenant L. L. Walters in command.

Service history

Landing ship, 1945–1953

Based at Little Creek, Virginia, the ship operated as a part of the Amphibious Fleet in the Atlantic, taking part in many training assaults (such as "Exercise Seminole" in 1947) in the Caribbean Sea and on the Atlantic coast.

Sonar research ship , 1954–1962

In June 1953, she began a conversion to sonar research ship at Norfolk, Virginia and following completion she reported to Operational Development Force on 1 October 1954.

In late 1954, the ship started a new career developing and testing experimental sonar equipment in conjunction with the United States Naval Research Laboratory. She was reclassified E-AG-398 and assigned the name Hunting on 13 June 1957. The ship's testing and evaluation activities took her from the Naval Research Laboratory near Washington into the Chesapeake Bay, the coastal waters off the Virginia Capes, and the Caribbean. She played a vital part in the development of new and better sonar equipment for the US Navy. She was modified to have an internal well measuring 30 feet (9.1 m) by 12 feet (3.7 m) for handling scientific equipment in the center of the vessel. This was a unique feature for USN Research vessels at the time.

During 1961 the ship was severely limited by mechanical problems and was finally decommissioned on 23 November 1962 at Portsmouth, Virginia. She was sold on 30 July 1963 to Commercial Manufacturing Corp., Kansas City, Missouri where she was finally broken up between 1980 and 1989.

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Hunting at NavSource Naval History

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.