World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Ibex (IX-119)

Article Id: WHEBN0005976115
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Ibex (IX-119)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of United States Navy ships: I–K, USS Leopard (IX-122), USS Camel (IX-113), USS Moose (IX-124), USS Raccoon (IX-127)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Ibex (IX-119)

"
History General characteristics
United States
Laid down:
Launched:
Commissioned:
Decommissioned:
Fate:
Displacement:
Length:
Beam:
Draught:
Speed:
Complement:
Armament:

USS Ibex (IX-119), an Armadillo-class tanker designated an unclassified miscellaneous vessel, was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the ibex, a variety of wild goat found in Europe, Asia, and Africa. Her keel was laid down as Nicholas Longworth under a Maritime Commission contract (T. EC2-S-C1) by the California Shipbuilding Corporation in Wilmington, California, on 16 October 1943. She was renamed Ibex on 27 October, launched on 15 November sponsored by Mrs. A. T. Olson, acquired by the Navy 13 December 1943; and commissioned the same day with Lieutenant Commander John L. Frazer in command.

After shakedown off the West Coast, Ibex departed San Pedro, California, on 23 January 1944, arriving Noumea, New Caledonia, on 18 February. Operating as a floating storage ship she transported gasoline and lube oil in the South Pacific for the next eight months. From October until the end of World War II she operated with Servron 8, Third Fleet, which supplied the fighting units during the most crucial months of the war.

After VJ Day she remained in the Far East servicing the occupation forces; then returned to the United States early in 1946. Ibex decommissioned at Norfolk, Virginia, on 28 June 1946 and was returned to the Maritime Commission on 30 June. In 1948 she was sold to T. J. Stevenson Company, Inc. and renamed Helen Stevenson.

References

External links

  • Photo gallery at Navsource.org

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.