USS King Philip

Career (United States)
Name: USS King Philip
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 1845
Acquired: 21 April 1861
In service: circa 28 April 1861
Renamed: Originally USS Powhatan; renamed USS King Philip 4 November 1861
Struck: 1865 (est.)
Homeport: Washington Navy Yard
Fate: Sold 15 September 1865
General characteristics
Type: Steamer / Dispatch boat
Displacement: 500 long tons (510 t)
Length: 204 ft (62 m)
Beam: 22 ft 11 in (6.99 m)
Depth of hold: 8 ft (2.4 m)
Propulsion: steam engine
side wheel-propelled
Complement: 14
Armament: 1 × gun

USS King Philip (1845) was a steamer acquired by the United States Navy during the American Civil War. She was used by the Union Navy as a dispatch boat, providing various services.

A commercial steamer seized by the Union Navy

Powhatan — a side-wheel steamer built in Baltimore, Maryland in 1845 by J. A. and E. T. Robinson — operated on the Potomac River out of Georgetown, D.C.. Early in the Civil War, the Union Army seized the side wheeler on 21 April 1861 and transferred her to the United States Navy.

Assigned to replace stolen buoys in the Potomac

The next day, she entered the Washington Navy Yard to be fitted out for war service. A week later, Lieutenant John Glendy Sproston was ordered to take command of Powhatan and proceed to Kettle Bottom Shoals to replace and protect buoys there which had been removed by Confederate agents.

Renamed USS King Philip

After patrol duty in the Potomac River, helping to protect Washington, D.C. during the early months of the Civil War, Powhatan steamed to Baltimore, Maryland for repairs. She was renamed USS King Philip on 4 November.

Civil War duties

Throughout the Civil War, King Philip was used as a dispatch boat, shuttling mail, supplies, and passengers between Washington, D.C. and Union ships on the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers. In 1862 she served as a temporary home for the crew of the famous USS Monitor while they were waiting for their ship to be repaired and refitted.[1]

Post-war decommissioning and sale

King Philip was sold at auction to H. F. Harrill on 15 September 1865.

See also

References

Sources

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.