World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Knave (AM-256)

Article Id: WHEBN0012330524
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Knave (AM-256)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Sentinel (AM-412), USAS Report (AGP-289), Soviet minesweeper T-111, USS Graylag (AM-364), USS Harlequin (AM-365)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Knave (AM-256)

{{Infobox Ship Career
Career (United States)
Name: USS Knave (AM-256)
Builder: American Ship Building Company, Lorain, Ohio
Laid down: 23 October 1942
Launched: 13 March 1943
Sponsored by: Mrs. Geraldine Donohue
Commissioned: 14 October 1943
Decommissioned: 1 May 1946
Reclassified: MSF-256, 7 February 1955
Struck: 2 October 1962
Fate: Transferred to Mexican Navy, 2 October 1962
Career (Mexico)
Name: ARM DM-13
Acquired: 2 October 1962
Renamed: ARM Cadete Juan Escutia (C56), 1994[1]
Hide header=yes Ship namesake=Juan Escutia Ship decommissioned= Ship struck=2000[1] Ship fate= Unknown; is sunk as an artificial reef about one half mile off of the coast of Puerto Morales in the Yucatán Peninsula.

}

General characteristics
Class & type: Admirable-class minesweeper
Displacement: 650 long tons (660 t)
Length: 184 ft 6 in (56.24 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 9 ft 9 in (2.97 m)
Propulsion: 2 × ALCO 539 diesel engines, 1,710 shp (1,280 kW)
Farrel-Birmingham single reduction gear
2 shafts
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h)
Complement: 104
Armament: 1 × 3"/50 caliber (76 mm) DP gun
2 × twin Bofors 40 mm guns
1 × Hedgehog anti-submarine mortar
2 × Depth charge tracks
Service record
Part of: U.S. Atlantic Fleet (1943–1946)
Atlantic Reserve Fleet (1946–1962)
Mexican Navy (1962–2000)

USS Knave (AM-256) was an Admirable-class minesweeper built for the United States Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic during World War II and was decommissioned in May 1946 and placed in reserve. While she remained in reserve, Knave was reclassified as MSF-256 in February 1955 but never reactivated. In October 1962, she was sold to the Mexican Navy and renamed ARM DM-13. In 1994 she was renamed ARM Cadete Juan Escutia (C56). She was stricken in 2000, but her ultimate fate is not reported in secondary sources.

U.S. Navy career

Knave was launched 13 March 1943, by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio; sponsored by Mrs. Geraldine Donohue; and commissioned 14 October 1943, Lt. Comdr. A. M. White in command. Knave sailed for the Virginia Capes 24 October 1943, via the St. Lawrence River arriving Norfolk, Virginia, 24 November.

After a brief period as school ship at Little Creek, Virginia, Knave departed Hampton Roads for Rio de Janeiro via Trinidad, B.W.I., and Recife, Brazil, arriving 11 February 1944. She swept Brazilian waters until 4 April when she began 9 months of escorting convoys between Trinidad and Recife. On 1 January 1945, she got underway for the United States, escorting USS Pleiades (AK-46) and arrived Miami, Florida, 15 January.

After overhaul at Miami, Knave served as school ship at the Naval Training Center, Miami and at Yorktown, Virginia, visiting Charleston, South Carolina, New Haven, Connecticut, and Norfolk, Virginia. Detached from school ship duty 11 February 1948, Knave sailed from Norfolk to Orange, Texas, arriving 21 February.

Knave was decommissioned and was placed in reserve at Orange, Texas, on 1 May 1946. While in reserve, Knave was reclassified MSF-256 on 7 February 1955. Knave was sold to the Mexican Navy on 2 October 1962.

Mexican Navy career

The former Knave was acquired by the Mexican Navy on 2 October 1962 and renamed ARM DM-13. In 1994, she was renamed ARM Cadete Juan Escutia (C56) after Juan Escutia. She was stricken in 2000,[1] but her ultimate fate is not reported in secondary sources. A ship by the same name "Juan Escutia' was scuttled as an artificial reef just off the coast of the Yucatán peninsula near the town Puerto Morelos.

Notes

  1. ^ a b c Wertheim, Eric, ed. (2007). "Mexico". The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems (15th ed.).  

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.