World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Prince William (CVE-31)

Article Id: WHEBN0000466803
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Prince William (CVE-31)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Breton (CVE-23), USS Barnes (CVE-20), HMS Khedive (D62), HMS Slinger (D26), USS Core (CVE-13)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Prince William (CVE-31)

History
Laid down: 18 May 1942
Launched: 23 August 1942
Commissioned: 9 April 1943
Decommissioned: 29 August 1946
Fate: Sold for scrap, 1961
General characteristics
Displacement: 9,800 tons
Length: 495.66 ft (151.08 m)
Beam: 69.5 ft (21.2 m)
Draft: 26 ft (7.9 m)
Speed: 18 knots
Complement: 890 officers and men
Armament: 2 × 5 inch guns, 2 × 40 mm Bofors
Aircraft carried: 24

USS Prince William (CVE-31) (originally AVG-31, later ACV-31), ex-MC Hull 242, was laid down by the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corporation of Tacoma, Washington, 18 May 1942 as AVG-31; redesignated ACV-31 on 20 August 1942; launched 23 August 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Foley; and commissioned 9 April 1943, Captain Herbert E. Regan in command.

Service history

Following an abbreviated shakedown off the west coast, Prince William reported for duty with the Pacific Fleet’s air arm to ferry planes and transport personnel to forward areas. Redesignated CVE-31 on 15 July 1943, she operated between the west coast and such places as New Caledonia, Canton Island, Samoa and Espiritu Santo until the spring of 1944.

Then, a brief assignment at San Diego, training and qualifying pilots, preceded her return to ferrying duties in mid-April 1944. She completed a run to Townsville, Australia, 7 May 1944, and, on her return to San Diego, was reassigned to the Atlantic Fleet. Unloading aircraft and cargo at Port Everglades, Florida, 21 June 1944, she continued on to Norfolk where new navigational equipment (LORAN) was installed. During July and into August, she qualified pilots in the Chesapeake Bay area, then, on 24 August 1944 , resumed plane and personnel ferry services with a run to Casablanca. Returning with worn airplane engines and parts, she moored at Norfolk 26 September 1944 for availability. Prince William returned to training duties in mid-October 1944.

Until 26 January 1945, she qualified pilots in the Narrangansett Bay area, then shifted to Key West. There she continued to carry out her mission as a training carrier until returning to Norfolk in May. On 2 June 1945, the CVE got underway for the Panama Canal and on the 8th rejoined the Pacific Fleet. Again assigned to ferrying duties, she transported planes and personnel between the west coast and Hawaii for the remainder of World War II.

After the cessation of hostilities, Prince William was assigned to “Magic Carpet” duty and for the next seven months returned military personnel and equipment to the United States. Completing her last run at San Diego, 21 March 1946, she was ordered to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet and on 8 April 1946 got underway for the Panama Canal. Arriving at Norfolk on 23 April 1946, she continued on, two days later, to Philadelphia where she decommissioned 29 August 1946.

Reclassified CVHE-31, 12 June 1955, Prince William remained a unit of the Philadelphia Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet until struck from the Naval Register 1 March 1959. She was sold for scrap in Japan in March 1961.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

  • Photo gallery at navsource.org
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.