Uss S-2


The launch of USS S-2
Career
Name: USS S-2
Builder: Lake Torpedo Boat Company
Laid down: 30 July 1917
Launched: 15 February 1919
Commissioned: 25 May 1920
Decommissioned: 25 November 1929
Struck: 1931
Fate: Sold, 14 September 1931
General characteristics
Class & type: S-class submarine
Displacement: 800 long tons (810 t) surfaced
977 long tons (993 t) submerged
Length: 207 ft (63 m)
Beam: 19 ft 7 in (5.97 m)
Draft: 16 ft 2 in (4.93 m)
Speed: 15 kn (17 mph; 28 km/h) surfaced
11 kn (13 mph; 20 km/h) submerged
Complement: 38 officers and men
Armament: 1 × 4 in (100 mm) deck gun
4 × 21 in (530 mm) torpedo tubes

USS S-2 (SS-106) was the prototype of the "Lake-type" S-class submarine of the United States Navy. (S-1 was the "Holland-type" prototype and S-3 the "Government-type".) Her keel was laid down on 30 July 1917 by the Lake Torpedo Boat Company in Bridgeport, Connecticut. She was launched on 15 February 1919 sponsored by Mrs. Philip B. Brill, and commissioned on 25 May 1920, Lieutenant Commander William M. Quigley in command.

After trials and outfitting, S-2 rendezvoused off Portsmouth, New Hampshire on 22 July 1921 with members of Submarine Divisions 18 and 12 (SubDivs 18 and 12), for what was — at that time — the longest cruise on record for American submarines. They sailed via the Panama Canal to Pearl Harbor and then on to Cavite, Luzon, in the Philippine Islands. Submarines which had previously served in the Asiatic Fleet had been carried over, tied to the decks of colliers.

The two divisions operated from the Cavite Naval Station during the three years following their arrival on 1 December 1921. They frequently visited Chinese ports at Shanghai, Chefoo, Chinwangtao, Tsingtao, Amoy, and Woosung during this period. On 29 October 1924, Far East duty was terminated for the divisions and they departed for the west coast of the United States. S-2, however, remained behind. On 5 November, her status was reduced to, in commission, in reserve. Retaining a partial crew for maintenance and readiness, she remained in reserve until 5 May 1928, when she again was commissioned in full.

S-2 spent the rest of May, June, and July in China, then resumed operations in the Philippines which she continued until ordered to return to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for inactivation. She departed Manila on 27 April 1929 and sailed via Guam, Pearl Harbor, California, and the Panama Canal to the Naval Shipyard at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Arriving on 5 August, S-2 was decommissioned there on 25 November. After being stripped, she was struck from the Naval Vessel Register in 1931 and sold on 14 September of that year.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.