World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Tonopah

Article Id: WHEBN0003776133
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Tonopah  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tonopah
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Tonopah

For other ships of the same name, see USS Nevada and USS Connecticut.

The crew is out on a Sunday in 1909 in dress whites.
Career
Name: USS Nevada
Builder: Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine
Laid down: 17 April 1899, as Connecticut
Launched: 24 November 1900
Commissioned: 5 March 1903
Decommissioned: 1 July 1920
Renamed: Nevada, January 1901
Tonopah, 2 March 1909
Fate: Sold, 26 January 1922
General characteristics
Type: Monitor
Displacement: 3,225 long tons (3,277 t)
Length: 255 ft 1 in (77.75 m)
Beam: 50 ft (15 m)
Draft: 13 ft 3 in (4.04 m)
Propulsion: Steam engine
Complement: 220 officers and men
Armament: • 2 × 12 in (300 mm) breech-loading rifles
• 4 × 4 in (100 mm) guns
• 2 × 6-pounder guns
Armor: Belt: 5–11 in (130–280 mm)
Barbettes: 9–11 in (230–280 mm)
Turrets: 9–10 in (230–250 mm)
Conning tower: 7.5 in (190 mm)

The first USS Nevada, a monitor, was laid down as Connecticut, 17 April 1899, by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; launched 24 November 1900; sponsored by Miss Grace Boutelle; renamed Nevada, January 1901; and commissioned on 5 March 1903, Commander Thomas Benton Howard in command.

On 2 March 1909, the monitor was renamed Tonopah (for Tonopah, Nevada)[1] to allow Battleship Number 36 to be named Nevada. Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet's submarine force as a tender, Tonopah operated along the east coast from Massachusetts to Key West until January 1918. Then briefly assigned to Bermuda, she was ordered to Ponta Delgada, São Miguel Island, Azores in February. Between then and December she tended the submarines K-1, K-2, K-3, K-5, and E-1 and submarine chasers operating in the strategic area of the Azores. In December, she was towed to Lisbon, and, upon her return to the United States, decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 1 July 1920. She was one of several vessels sold on 26 January 1922, to J. G. Hitner of Philadelphia.

References

This article incorporates text from the here.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.