World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Virginia (SP-274)

Article Id: WHEBN0000911252
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Virginia (SP-274)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Virginia, Ships built in New Jersey, World War I patrol vessels of the United States, List of United States Navy ships: T–V
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Virginia (SP-274)

USS Virginia (SP-274)
History
United States
Name: USS Virginia
Builder: Electric Launch Company, Bayonne, New Jersey
Laid down: 1910
Acquired: by purchase, 5 May 1917
Commissioned: 10 August 1917
Decommissioned: 18 March 1920
Struck: 18 March 1920
Fate: Sunken hulk sold, 1 April 1920
General characteristics
Type: Motor yacht
Tonnage: 91 long tons (92 t)
Length: 98 ft 4 in (29.97 m)
Beam: 16 ft (4.9 m)
Draft: 5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Complement: 14
Armament: 2 × 3-pounder guns

USS Virginia (SP-274) was a yacht in the United States Navy.

She was constructed in 1910 by Elco at Bayonne, New Jersey. The ship was purchased by the Navy on 5 May 1917 from Mr. Daniel W. Smith of New York City and delivered to the Government on 2 July.

To avoid the confusion of having several ships of the same name, the Navy discarded her name and referred to her simply as SP-274, though references to her as Virginia (SP-274) in the Navy Register for 1918 indicate that she probably retained her name informally. Commissioned on 10 August 1917, SP-274 was assigned to the 9th Naval District section patrol; and, although the records are unclear, she probably operated out of Detroit, conducting patrols on Lake Michigan.

She served until 12 August 1919, at which time her name was struck from the Navy Register; and, by 18 March 1920, she had sunk at the Detroit Dock. Here again, the records are unclear with regard to whether she sank before or after being struck. In any event, her sunken hulk was sold to J. A. Nicholson of Morris Heights, New Jersey, on 1 April 1920.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.