Uss Yms-290

For other ships of the same name, see USS Nightingale.
Career (United States)
Ordered: as YMS–290
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 27 February 1943
Commissioned: 17 July 1943
Decommissioned: March 1950
In service: February 1951
Out of service: 1 November 1959
Struck: 1 November 1959
Fate: sold for scrap
General characteristics
Displacement: 270 tons
Length: 136 ft (41 m)
Beam: 25 ft (7.6 m)
Draft: 8 ft (2.4 m)
Speed: 13.0 knots
Complement: 26
Armament: one 40mm and four 20mm machine guns

USS Nightingale (MSC(O)-50/AMS-50/YMS-290) was a YMS-1-class minesweeper of the YMS-135 subclass acquired by the U.S. Navy for the dangerous task of removing mines from minefields laid in the water to prevent ships from passing.

Operational history

The fifth ship to be named Nightingale by the Navy, YMS-290 was built by the Associated Shipbuilding Co., Seattle, Washington, as YMS–290; launched 27 February 1943; sponsored by Miss Suzanne Marion, granddaughter of A. F. Marion, General Manager of Lake Union Drydock and Machine Works; and commissioned 17 July 1943.

After shakedown and training in Puget Sound, she departed for the western Pacific Ocean via Pearl Harbor. Throughout World War II she operated exclusively in the Pacific. She participated in the Gilbert Islands operations 13 November through 8 December, and continued minesweeping operations until the end of hostilities. YMS-290 was then assigned to minesweeping activities in the Kobe-Fukuoka area of Japan.

Returning from Japanese waters YMS-290 reached Boston, Massachusetts, and was assigned to the 1st Naval District as a Naval Reserve Training ship. On 1 September 1947 the ship was renamed Nightingale and reclassified to AMS–50. She continued as a Naval Reserve training ship until March 1950, when she put in at Green Cove Springs, Florida, and decommissioned.

Nightingale recommissioned February 1951 and served with the Mine Force, Atlantic Fleet. She operated out of Charleston, South Carolina, providing service along the U.S. East Coast from Yorktown, Virginia, to Panama City, Florida. Her home port was temporarily shifted to Panama City 1 January 1955 while she provided services for the Navy’s Mine Defense Laboratory. She was re-designated MSC(O)–50 on 7 February and then returned to Charleston.

She remained in an active status until 1 November 1959, when she decommissioned, was struck from the Navy List, and was sold for scrap.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of Nightingale at NavSource Naval History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.