World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Upper Clatford

Article Id: WHEBN0005987588
Reproduction Date:

Title: Upper Clatford  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: River Anton, Registrar of the University of Oxford, Test Valley, Palestine, Hampshire, East Dean, Hampshire
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Upper Clatford

Upper Clatford
Upper Clatford is located in Hampshire
Upper Clatford
Upper Clatford
 Upper Clatford shown within Hampshire
OS grid reference
District Test Valley
Shire county Hampshire
Region South East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town ANDOVER
Postcode district SP11 7
Police Hampshire
Fire Hampshire
Ambulance South Central
EU Parliament South East England
UK Parliament North West Hampshire
List of places
UK
England
Hampshire

Upper Clatford is a village in Hampshire, England. The village lies in the valley of the River Anton, several miles upstream of the point where it joins the River Test, just to the south of Andover. Clatford is an old English term meaning 'the ford where the burdock grows'. The local parish Church of All Saints was first built probably during the reign of Henry I (1100-1135) as its massive columns and round arches are typical of the first half of the 12th century. It was rebuilt in the 16th century and transformed into an 'auditory church' in the 17th century. Even so, a large proportion of the congregation still cannot see the altar. The Church rests between two arms of the Pillhill Brook; the village war memorial is also within its grounds.

The village historically had 4 manors: Norman Court, Sackville Court, Clatford Manor and Clatford Mills.

The village is within walking distance of Andover town centre and the most direct route is to follow the path of the old railway line which is now a public footpath. Along this route there is much evidence of the old railway line though little to be seen of the earlier canal that preceded the railway. The canal and later railway were very important to the local economy in particular for the transport of raw materials from Southampton via Andover to Upper Clatford for Taskers Iron Works whose premises were located in nearby Anna Valley. Pig Iron was shipped from Southampton via the canal to Taskers Wharf, originally located where the footpath now leaves Upper Clatford for Andover.

Local attractions are a number of traditionally thatched cottages and houses including the premises of the local public house The Crook & Shears. Following the road south out of the village leads to the twin village of Goodworth Clatford (formerly Lower Clatford).

Taskers of Andover - A History Andovers Lost Canal

See also

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.