World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wqtw

Article Id: WHEBN0008613741
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wqtw  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: WCNS, WOWY, WFGI (AM), WOHI, WBJV
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wqtw

WQTW
City of license Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Broadcast area Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Branding "Music Power 104"
Frequency 1570 kHz
First air date December 12, 1951 (as WAKU)
Format Classic Hits (WLSW simulcast)
Power 1,000 watts (day)
224 watts night
Class D
Facility ID 36115
Former callsigns WAKU (1951-1959)
WSHH (1959-1963)
Owner Ludwig Stanley Wall (dba Wall Broadcasting)
Website musicpower104.com

WQTW is an American radio station, licensed to the city of Latrobe, Pennsylvania. WQTW operates at 1570 kHz with a maximum power of 1,000 watts day, 220 watts night. The station is owned by L. Stanley Wall, who also owns and operates WLSW-FM in Connellsville (licensed to Scottdale), Pennsylvania.

History

First in Latrobe

WQTW first signed on the air as WAKU on December 12, 1951, making it the second AM station to come on the air in Westmoreland County, as WHJB (now WKHB) had been the first in 1934. A second station, WTRA (now WCNS) came on the air five years later after WAKU's debut.

WAKU was originally owned by Clearfield Broadcasters, Inc., which owned and published the Clearfield Progress newspaper, headquartered in Clearfield, Pennsylvania; as well as radio station WCPA. The newspaper was looking to expand its advertising reach by building or buying radio stations in nearby markets, and would do so with further acquisitions in Indiana and Centre counties. The station initially signed on the air as a daytime-only station, with a maximum power output of 250 watts, with studios at 200 Depot Street in downtown Latrobe. It was granted permission in 1955 to increase its power to a full 1,000 watts; its current power output today.

In 1957, Clearfield Broadcasting decided to sell WAKU, as they were preparing to acquire Indiana County-based WDAD and WQMU, a transaction that would be completed in 1958. WAKU was sold to WAKU, Inc., a company headed by Harry Reed on July 1, 1956. This would mark the first of several transactions over the next decade.

In 1959, WAKU was acquired by Rosenblum Stations, which also owned WISR in Butler, and WACB in Kittanning, as well as two other stations in Ohio. The call letters were then changed to WSHH, which were later acquired by a Pittsburgh FM station that still uses these same call letters today. Rosenblum Stations, however, sold WSHH to Tayloradio, in 1962; a company headed by Keith Horton, the vice president and general manager of WELM in Elmira, New York. This period of ownership would also not last long, as WSHH was sold to Westmoreland Broadcasting Corporation, a company headed by John J. Stewart, in February 1963 and assigned its current callsign, WQTW. In the mid 60's WQTW featured popular radio personalities such as Tom Sidwell, John Vincze, Jim Albright and Joe Gearing.

Westmoreland Broadcasting remained WQTW's owner until October 31, 1973, when it was acquired by Regency Broadcasting Corporation, a company headed by Nick Corvello and would retain ownership until a fire silenced the station in the early 1980s.

Down in Flames

WQTW experienced a major setback on New Year's Eve of 1982, when its studios and offices were destroyed in a fire, leaving the station dark for about a year and a half [1], and keeping local firefighters busy for about six hours that day.

The license and tower, being all that was left from the station, were then advertised for sale. Stan Wall, owner of WLSW-FM, 15 miles south of Latrobe, purchased the remains of the station for $66,000 in April 1984. Coincidentally, Wall had been turned down for a job at WAKU when he was beginning his career and had also served as manager of competitor WTRA before putting WLSW on the air.

WQTW Returns

Upon purchasing the station, WQTW had to be returned to the air quickly in order to avoid forfeiture of the FCC license. A double-wide mobile home was purchased and parked at WQTW's transmitter site on George Street in Derry Township, just on the outskirts of Latrobe. The station returned to the air less than six months later with a full-service format of middle-of-the road and oldies music, with polka music on the weekends.

A construction permit was granted for the station in 1989 to move down the dial to 880 AM (still daytime-only but with almost double the coverage), but that permit was abandoned the following year when the station was granted nighttime power of 220 watts.

In 1990, the station began simulcasting WLSW full-time over WQTW. Specialty programs of high school football, weekend oldies and polka programming remained independent of WLSW.

Since 1990, WQTW has been leased to two other operators through time-brokerage agreements, though the formats they adopted were short lived. For a brief period in the mid-90's, the station affiliated with the Prime Sports Satellite Network, in an attempt to support the growing audience for all-sports radio.

WQTW Today

WQTW abandoned its simulcast of WLSW in the fall of 2007, switching to a format of oldies from the 50's through the 80's, in addition to some college sports broadcasts, with mild success. In March 2009, WQTW made the switch to its current format of classic country music. On weekends, WQTW's airs specialty weekend programming and high school sports broadcasts. On March 28, 2012 WQTW changed their format to classic hits, simulcasting WLSW 103.9 FM.

Sources

  • Disk jockey and station owner Stan Wall shaped the region's radio [2]
  • 1953 Broadcasting Yearbook
  • 1955 Broadcasting Yearbook
  • 1957 Broadcasting Yearbook
  • 1960 Broadcasting Yearbook
  • 1961-62 Broadcasting Yearbook
  • 1967 Broadcasting Yearbook
  • 1975 Broadcasting Yearbook
  • 1981 Broadcasting Yearbook

External links

  • Query the FCC's AM station database for WQTW
  • Radio-Locator Information on WQTW
  • Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WQTW

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.