World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Waytemore Castle


Waytemore Castle

Waytemore Castle
Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire
A large earth mound now covers remains of the castle
Waytemore Castle is located in Hertfordshire
Waytemore Castle
Waytemore Castle
Coordinates grid reference TL4900421473
Type Castle Ruins
Site information
Owner Bishop's Stortford Town Council
Open to
the public
On Request
Condition Ruins
Site history
Built c.12th Century
Built by Normans
Materials Stone

Waytemore Castle was a castle in the town of Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. (grid reference TL4900421473). The remains are a Grade I listed structure. [1]

This began as a motte and bailey castle in the time of William the Conqueror. A rectangular great tower was added on the motte in the 12th century. It was improved in the 13th century during the reign of King John and a licence to crenellate was granted in the mid 14th century. It was slighted after the Civil War. In the 17th century it was used as a prison.

Only earthworks, the large motte and foundations of a square tower can now be seen.


There are a number of mysteries surrounding the origin of Waytemore Castle, as well as the mound on which it stood, and in truth its actual beginnings may never be determined. Some historians believe the mound began as a Celtic barrow, or grave mound, while others think it was a Saxon ‘buhr’ i.e. a moated and stockaded fortress adapted early in the 10th century by Edward the Elder as a defence against the invading Danes. It has always been thought that Waytemore Castle got its name from the very nature of its situation; the word ‘Wayte’ thought to be Saxon, meaning a place of ambush, and ‘more’ meaning a ‘fen or marsh’. However, there is now a suggestion that this translation meaning ‘place of ambush in a marsh’ is incorrect. Historian Jacqueline Cooper thinks it more likely that ‘waite’ is a corruption of ‘thwaite’, taken from an Old Norse word which has no English equivalent, and actually means ‘forest clearing’. The word ‘marr’ is another Old Norse word, meaning ‘boggy place’. If so, then this suggests that the later built Norman castle was built on an earlier site that was cleared out of damp woodland.

Motte and Bailey

Norman built, or Saxon, the transition of Stortford’s wooden fortress to masonry castle would probably have taken place soon after 1086, although it’s thought the keep wasn't constructed before 1135. The earth mound (pre-Norman or not) became the foundation for their familiar motte (mound) and bailey (courtyard) castle and its siting in the valley, as opposed to the usual high ground, was a deliberate move to command the important river crossing.

The 42 feet (13 m) high mound was surrounded by a moat and its top protected by a curtain wall of flint and rubble some 9 feet (2.7 m) thick. The later built keep, probably some 60–70 feet (18–21 m) high, stood within this wall and to add to its prominence, and remind Saxon inhabitants of the town and surrounding areas of Norman power and conquest, its exterior walls were probably painted white with a mixture of lime and chalk. The discovery of foundations consisting of flint and rubble suggest it was rectangular in shape, but while three of its sides were straight, the northern end was convex and bonded irregularly, in parts, with Roman bricks and medieval tiles.


The remnants of wall that remain at the mound’s summit are those of the castle keep rebuilt by King John in 1214. The original well in the south-west corner is covered by a large steel plate.

The mound has never been properly excavated, although an investigation in 1850 did reveal parts of the existing wall and a few human bones. A local historian of the time, J.L. Glasscock, made further minor attempts at excavation in 1900 but found only a few Roman coins of the Lower Empire. The most informative find was the accidental discovery in the late 1990s, within the grounds, of a large number of human bones which, experts say, strongly suggests there may have been some kind of medieval hospital attached to the castle.


  • Fry, Plantagenet Somerset, The David & Charles Book of Castles, David & Charles, 1980. ISBN 0-7153-7976-3
  • Stortford History

External links

  • ECastles: Bishop's Stortford Castle
  • Bishop's Stortford History: Waytemore Castle
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.