World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Williams Point

Article Id: WHEBN0019617914
Reproduction Date:

Title: Williams Point  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1819, South Shetland Islands, Livingston Island, William Smith (mariner), Eliseyna Cove, Karavelova Point, Kotis Point, Miziya Peak, Passy Peak, Pomorie Point
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Williams Point


Williams Point is the point forming both the north extremity of Varna Peninsula and the northeast tip of Livingston Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. Separated from Zed Islands to the north by Iglika Passage.

The discovery of the South Shetland Islands was first reported in 1819 by William Smith, Master of the brig Williams who had sighted the point on 19 February that year. An 1820 publication suggests that Smith gave the name ‘Williams’ to a point of land in this vicinity. In recent years the place name Williams Point has been established in international usage for the point described.

Location

The point is located at 62°27′08″S 60°08′11″W / 62.45222°S 60.13639°W / -62.45222; -60.13639Coordinates: 62°27′08″S 60°08′11″W / 62.45222°S 60.13639°W / -62.45222; -60.13639 which is 9.47 km north of Miziya Peak in Vidin Heights, 8.8 km east of Desolation Island, 1.5 km south of Zed Islands and 5.5 km west of Duff Point on Greenwich Island. British mapping in 1822, Chilean in 1971, Argentine in 1980, Spanish in 1991, and Bulgarian in 2005 and 2009.

Maps

  • L.L. Ivanov et al., Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands (from English Strait to Morton Strait, with illustrations and ice-cover distribution), 1:100000 scale topographic map, Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria, Sofia, 2005
  • L.L. Ivanov. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4

References

  • SCAR Composite Antarctic Gazetteer.

 This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Geological Survey document "Williams Point" (content from the Geographic Names Information System).

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.