World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Xumi Fushou Temple

Article Id: WHEBN0030336246
Reproduction Date:

Title: Xumi Fushou Temple  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chengde, Major national historical and cultural sites (Hebei), Pearl Shoal Waterfall, China Danxia, Western Qing tombs
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Xumi Fushou Temple

Xumi Fushou Temple
Xumi Fushou Temple
Basic information
Affiliation Buddhist
Region China
Province Hebei
Municipality Chengde
Status Preserved
Heritage designation 1994
Leadership Lobsang Palden Yeshe, 6th Panchen Lama
Qianlong Emperor
Architectural style Tibetan and Chinese
Completed 1780
Specifications

The Xumi Fushou Temple (Chinese: 须弥福寿之庙; pinyin: Xūmí Fúshòu Zhī Miào; literally: "Temple of Happiness and Longevity of the Sumeru Mountain") is one of the Eight Outer Temples in Chengde, Hebei, China. The Buddhist temple is located in the north of the park complex of the Chengde Mountain Resort to the east of Putuo Zongcheng Temple on the north side of a slightly upward slope hill. The temple covers an area of 37,900 square metres (408,000 sq ft).

History

The temple was first designed in 1780 to celebrate the 70th birthday of the Qianlong Emperor and built for Penchen Lama the VI who came to Chengde from Tibet to convey his congratulations, and is a fusion of Chinese and Tibetan architectural style.

Its main building, the Great Red Terrace (Dahongtai, 大红台), has three storeys and was built above three-storeys foundation. The Miaogaozhuangyan Hall (妙高庄严殿) where the Penchen Lama preached is the center of the temple. The Jixiangfaxi Hall (吉样法喜殿) with a roof made of gold plated copper tiles was the home of Penchen Lama. Other buildings are the seven-story octagonal Liuli-Wanshou pagoda (琉璃万寿塔 "Glazed Tile Pagoda of Longevity") and a glazed tile paifang (琉璃牌坊). In the stele pavilion of the temple is a four-language memorial plaque with stone engraving in Manchu, Chinese, Mongolian and Tibetan script, with an inscription in memory of the events.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.