World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

York Guildhall

Article Id: WHEBN0006032766
Reproduction Date:

Title: York Guildhall  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Guildhall, York Shakespeare Project
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

York Guildhall


York Guildhall is located behind York's Mansion House. It was built in the 15th century and served as a meeting place for the guilds of York. The city's guilds largely controlled the trade within York, oversaw the quality of the workmanship within the city and looked after their members' interests.

Because of damage sustained during a Baedeker air raid in 1942, the present Guildhall is a rebuilt version of the 15th century building, and was opened by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in 1960. The stone walls, however, escaped total destruction and now form the frame of the reconstructed hall. A single tree trunk was used for each oak pillar, the originals coming from the royal Forest of Galtres. The Inner Room survived the raid intact and has panelled walls, masons' marks, two hidden stairways and a ceiling decorated with old bosses.


A history of the City of York can be seen within the stained glass window, and within the tracery are men and women who helped to put York on the historical map. The five lights in the tracery depict the different periods of York's history. Grotesque faces can be seen on the ceiling in the Inner Room.

The Guildhall has served many purposes through its long history, and has even been the scene of many Royal social visits. York Guildhall was the venue for Margaret Clitherow's trial, Richard III was entertained there in 1483 and Prince Albert, the Prince Consort to Queen Victoria was a guest of honour at a Royal banquet.

The Guildhall was the place where £200,000 was counted before being given to the Scots in payment for their part in helping Oliver Cromwell during the English Civil War.

External links

  • York Press Guildhall Website

Coordinates: 53°57′35″N 1°05′08″W / 53.95963°N 1.08563°W / 53.95963; -1.08563

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.