World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Zeuthen

For other uses, see Zeuthen (disambiguation).
Zeuthen

Coat of arms
Zeuthen
Zeuthen

Coordinates: 52°22′00″N 13°37′00″E / 52.36667°N 13.61667°E / 52.36667; 13.61667Coordinates: 52°22′00″N 13°37′00″E / 52.36667°N 13.61667°E / 52.36667; 13.61667

Country Germany
State Brandenburg
District
Government
 • Mayor Beate Burgschweiger (SPD)
Area
 • Total 12.66 km2 (4.89 sq mi)
Elevation 34 m (112 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 10,693
 • Density 840/km2 (2,200/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 15738
Dialling codes 033762
Vehicle registration LDS
Website www.zeuthen.de

Zeuthen is a municipality in the district of Dahme-Spreewald in Brandenburg in Germany.

Geography

It is located near the southeastern Berlin city limits on the western shore of the Dahme River and the Zeuthener See. It borders Eichwalde in the north, Schulzendorf and Schönefeld in the west, Wildau and Königs Wusterhausen in the south, as well as the Berlin borough of Treptow-Köpenick (Schmöckwitz locality) on the eastern shore of Zeuthener See, where the municipal area also includes the Miersdorfer Werder exclave. The four municipalities of Zeuthen, Eichwalde, Wildau and Schulzendorf form a coherently built-up suburban area.

Zeuthen railway station is a stop on the Berlin-Görlitz line, it is served by the Berlin S-Bahn.

History

Probably of Slavic origin like many Brandenburg settlements, Zeuthen with neighbouring Miersdorf and Gersdorf was first mentioned in the 1375 Landbuch (domesday book) written at the behest of the Luxembourg emperor Charles IV, who had acquired the margraviate from the Bavarian House of Wittelsbach two years before.

Devastated in the Thirty Years' War and with a population of only 122 still in 1860, the rapid development of the former village on the riverside to a coveted suburban residential area began with the building of the railway line to Görlitz shortly afterwards and the rise of Berlin as capital of the German Empire in 1871. Zeuthen station was inaugurated on 1 November 1897. Neighbouring Miersdorf was merged into the Zeuthen municipality in 1957.

In World War II, the German Reichspostministerium research department under Wilhelm Ohnesorge had begun to build up a cyclotron particle accelerator and an isotope separator at Zeuthen, which from 1962 formed the nucleus of the East German Institute for High Energy Physics (IfH), part of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR. Following German reunification, the premises were merged as the second site of the DESY institute on 1 January 1992.

Demography

Politics

Seats in the municipal assembly (Rat der Geminde) as of 2008 elections:

International relations

Zeuthen is twinned with:

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.