World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Coventry to Leamington Line

Article Id: WHEBN0012248262
Reproduction Date:

Title: Coventry to Leamington Line  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Coventry to Nuneaton Line, Nuneaton railway station, Edginswell railway station, Reading Green Park railway station, Tweedbank railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Coventry to Leamington Line

Coventry to Leamington Line
Overview
System National Rail
Status Operational
Locale West Midlands (region)
Termini Coventry
Leamington Spa
Operation
Opening 1851
Owner Network Rail
Operator(s) CrossCountry
Rolling stock Class 220
Class 221
Technical
No. of tracks 1-2
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge


The Coventry to Leamington Line is a railway line linking the city of Coventry with the town of Leamington Spa. The line was opened in 1844 by the London and Birmingham Railway, initially only as far as Milverton. The line was extended to Leamington Spa Avenue in 1851. A connecting line to Berkswell opened in 1884.

Late in the 19th century most of the route was doubled to increase capacity. Only a small section just outside Kenilworth, at Gibbet Hill, remained single track.

Stations

The line currently serves two stations: Leamington Spa and Coventry with CrossCountry services. Formerly there were two more railway stations along the route, both of which were closed in 1965 as a result of Reshaping of British Railways report.

  • Leamington Spa (Milverton) for Warwick
    The station building was demolished some time after closure. The site remains unoccupied, but it is unlikely to be re-opened owing to its proximity to the main town station.
  • Kenilworth
    The station building was demolished some time after closure. There is a proposal to rebuild and re-open it.

Electrification proposal

In 1977 the Parliamentary Select Committee on Nationalised Industries recommended considering electrification of more of Britain's rail network, and by 1979 BR presented a range of options to electrifying numerous routes by 2000.[1] Some of these options included the Coventry to Leamington line as part of a scheme to electrify the Cherwell Valley Line and the Banbury — Birmingham section of what is now the Chiltern Main Line.[2] Under the 1979–90 Conservative governments that succeeded the 1976–79 Labour government the proposal was not implemented.

The line today

Today most of the line is single track which limits the number of services using it. What remains of double track includes a passing loop at Kenilworth, and the lines out from Coventry and Leamington Spa to Gibbet Hill Junction and Milverton respectively, the former being extended back from Park Junction (now removed) on 29 August 2007 by 1.75 miles (2.8 km).

One particular point of interest is that the stonework of the original Kenilworth station survives at the town end of Station Road having been re-erected there in 1884 for use as a cafe.

See also

References

  1. ^ Anonymous 1979, pp. 0–2.
  2. ^ Anonymous 1979, p. 8.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.