World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

74th Air Refueling Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0018880055
Reproduction Date:

Title: 74th Air Refueling Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 55th Air Refueling Squadron, 434th Operations Group, RAF Fulbeck, List of United States Air Force air refueling squadrons, 711th Air Refueling Squadron
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

74th Air Refueling Squadron

74thAir Refueling Squadron
74th Air Refueling Squadron Patch
Active 9 February 1943 - 31 July 1946
15 March 1947 - 2 May 1951
1 August 1992 - Present
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Aerial refueling
Part of Air Force Reserve Command
4th Air Force
434th Air Refueling Wing
434th Operations Group
Garrison/HQ Grissom Joint Air Reserve Base
Engagements Operation Overlord
Operation Market Garden
Battle of the Bulge
Operation Plunder
Decorations DUC
AFOUA
French CdG w/ Palm
French Fourragère
Aircraft flown
Tanker KC-135 Stratotanker

The 74th Air Refueling Squadron (74 ARS) is a United States Air Force Reserve squadron, assigned to the 434th Operations Group, stationed at Grissom Joint Air Reserve Base, Indiana.

Overview

A KC-135R Stratotanker from the 434th Air Refueling Wing refules an F-22A from the 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Virginia
Douglas C-47 of the 74th Troop Carrier Squadron.

The 74th ARS operates the KC-135 Stratotanker aircraft conducting aerial refueling missions.

History

Established in early 1943 as a C-47 Skytrain transport squadron under First Air Force, later trained under I Troop Carrier Command in the eastern United States. Deployed to England in late 1943, being assigned to Ninth Air Force in England, IX Troop Carrier Command to participate in the buildup of forces prior to the Allied landings in France during D-Day in June 1944.

Engaged in combat operations by dropping paratroops into Normandy on D-Day (6 June 1944) and releasing gliders with reinforcements on the following day. The unit received a Distinguished Unit Citation and a French citation for these missions.

After the Normandy invasion the squadron ferried supplies in the United Kingdom. The squadron also hauled food, clothing, medicine, gasoline, ordnance equipment, and other supplies to the front lines and evacuated patients to rear zone hospitals. It dropped paratroops near Nijmegen and towed gliders carrying reinforcements during the airborne attack on the Netherlands. In December, it participated in the Battle of the Bulge by releasing gliders with supplies for the 101st Airborne Division near Bastogne.

Moved to France in early 1945, and participated in the Western Allied invasion of Germany, participating in the air assault across the Rhine River in March 1945, each aircraft towed two gliders with troops of the 17th Airborne Division and released them near Wesel.

Returned to the United States in August, 1945, becoming a domestic troop carrier squadron for Continental Air Forces, inactivated July 1946.

The squadron trained in troop carrier duties from, 1947-1951. It has performed air refueling missions worldwide since 1992. Since late 1993 the 74th periodically deployed to Italy and other western European locations in support of NATO operations in the Balkans.[1]

Operations and Decorations

  • Combat Operations. Airborne assaults on Normandy, the Netherlands, and Germany; relief of Bastogne; aerial transportation of passengers and cargo in ETO during World War II. Performed air refueling missions worldwide since 1992. Since late 1993, periodically deployed to Italy and other western European location in support of NATO operations in the Balkans.
  • Campaigns. World War II: Egypt-Libya; Tunisia; Sicily; Naples-Foggia; Rome-Arno; Normandy; Northern France; Rhineland; Central Europe.

Lineage

  • Constituted 74th Troop Carrier Squadron on 30 Jan 1943
Activated on 9 Feb 1943
Inactivated on 31 Jul 1946
  • Activated in the Reserve on 15 Mar 1947
Re-designated: 74th Troop Carrier Squadron, Medium on 1 Jul 1949
Ordered to Active Service on 1 May 1951
Inactivated on 2 May 1951
  • Re-designated: 74th Air Refueling Squadron, and activated in the Reserve, on 1 Aug 1992.

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  1. ^ AFHRA 74 ARS Page

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.