World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

846th Bombardment Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0028105901
Reproduction Date:

Title: 846th Bombardment Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: RAF Halesworth, List of B-29 Superfortress operators
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

846th Bombardment Squadron

846th Bombardment Squadron
Active 1943-1945
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Bombardment

The 846th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 489th Bombardment Group. It was inactivated at March Field, California on 17 October 1945.

History

Activated in September 1943 as a B-24 Liberator heavy bomb squadron by Second Air Force, training in Utah the until being deployed to the European Theater of Operations (ETO); being assigned to VIII Bomber Command in England in May 1944. Squadron entered combat on 30 May 1944, in the period immediately before the D-Day landings. Took part in strategic bombing campaign over Europe. Also supported the D-Day landings and the massive aerial attack that preceded the breakthrough at St. Lo. The unit was also used to carry food to liberated France and to the rapidly advancing Allied troops during August and September 1944 and to carry supplies to the Allied troops in Holland during Operation Market Garden.

In November-December 1944 the squadron was withdrawn to the United States, where it began to prepare to deploy to the Pacific. In March 1945 it was redesignated as a Very Heavy bombardment unit, and converted to the B-29 Superfortress, but the war ended before it could be deployed with the new aircraft. The unit was inactivated on 17 October 1945.

Lineage

  • Constituted 846th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 14 Sep 1943
Activated on 1 Oct 1943
Redesignated 846th Bombardment Squadron (Very Heavy) on 17 Mar 1945
Inactivated on 16 Oct 1945.

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

References

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.