World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Calonne-Ricouart

Article Id: WHEBN0012859856
Reproduction Date:

Title: Calonne-Ricouart  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Calonne, Agglomeration community of Artois, Arrondissement of Béthune, List of twin towns and sister cities in France, Maryan Wisnieski, Robert Budzynski, Élie Fruchart
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Calonne-Ricouart

Calonne-Ricouart

Coat of arms
Calonne-Ricouart
Calonne-Ricouart

Coordinates: 50°29′15″N 2°29′04″E / 50.4875°N 2.4844°E / 50.4875; 2.4844Coordinates: 50°29′15″N 2°29′04″E / 50.4875°N 2.4844°E / 50.4875; 2.4844

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Béthune
Canton Divion
Intercommunality Communauté d'agglomération de l'Artois
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) André Delcourt
Area
 • Land1 4.61 km2 (1.78 sq mi)
Population (1999)
 • Population2 5,989
 • Population2 density 1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62194 / 62470
Elevation 41–114 m (135–374 ft)
(avg. 65 m or 213 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Calonne-Ricouart is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

Calonne-Ricouart is an ex-coalmining town some 6 miles (9.7 km) southwest of Béthune and 33 miles (53.1 km) southwest of Lille, at the junction of the D70 and the D341 roads, by the banks of the Clarence River.

History

The village and the old castle were burned down in 1537 by the troops of Francis I.
The church of St. Pierre was rebuilt between the years 1763 to 1781.
In 1786, a new chateau was built at the present location of the cemetery. Around the same time, through the initiative of Bernard Calonne, the watermill was built on the north bank of the river Clarence. It was sold during the Revolution and ceased functioning as a working mill in 1945. Nowadays, only a small part of the original building still exists.

Features

The spoil heaps from the years of mining coal are now disappearing, as they contain material which can be used in road building. To the east of the town, were once the pit heads stood, is Park Calonnix, which covers 35 hectares of land including 15 hectares of forest and 5 hectares of ponds. Various sports and leisure activities are available (tennis, squash, horseriding, a climbing wall, pedal boats, freshwater and trout fishing, an inflatable playground and an animal park. Also located on the site, in the former coal mining explosives store, is a bat sanctuary.

Population

Historical population of Calonne-Ricouart
Year 196219681975198219901999
Population 932399548534754565855989
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

Places of interest

  • The church of St. Pierre, dating from the eighteenth century.
  • The modern church of St.Paul.
  • An old farm and a watermill.

Notable people

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Official website of the commune (French)
  • The leisure park (French)
  • Calonne-Ricouart on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.