World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lamagistère

Article Id: WHEBN0015914682
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lamagistère  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Castelsarrasin, Canton of Valence, Barguelonne
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lamagistère

Lamagistère
Lamagistère
Lamagistère

Coordinates: 44°07′33″N 0°49′28″E / 44.1258°N 0.8244°E / 44.1258; 0.8244Coordinates: 44°07′33″N 0°49′28″E / 44.1258°N 0.8244°E / 44.1258; 0.8244

Country France
Region Midi-Pyrénées
Department Tarn-et-Garonne
Arrondissement Castelsarrasin
Canton Valence
Intercommunality Deux Rives
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Bernard Cassagne
Area
 • Land1 9.1 km2 (3.5 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 1,238
 • Population2 density 140/km2 (350/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 82089 / 82360
Elevation 45–65 m (148–213 ft)
(avg. 55 m or 180 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Lamagistère is a commune in the Tarn-et-Garonne department in the Midi-Pyrénées region in southern France. Inhabitants of the district are known as les Magistériens.

Geography

The district is located between the larger towns of Agen and Castelsarrasin. The nearest villages are Golfech, Donzac, Clermont-Soubiran, Saint-Urcisse and Saint-Sixte. The Barguelonne forms all of the commune's south-eastern border, then flows into the Garonne, which forms its southern and south-western borders. The commune, which is approximately 9 sq. km, is composed of a small village and surrounding territory.

The Route nationale N113 (national trunk road), used to run through the middle of the village but was later diverted around the town. In 2006, the French government downgraded some national trunk roads to departmental status roads. The N113 was one such road which was downgraded and now the diverted road is signed as the D813. However the historical designation can still be seen in a street sign in the middle of the village.

In fact the middle of the village is also a cross roads with the D30, which commences as a bridge over the Garonne River.

There is a train station in the middle of the town, on the Bordeaux-Toulouse line. The village has a public library and a school but lacks, in 2012, a cinema and museum.

History

During the second world war the district was at the heart of a Franco-American sabotage operation. On the night of 15 to 16 August 1944, a section of the train line running between Bordeaux and Toulouse, which was defended by a garrison of German soldiers, was attacked by a combined force of American commandos, French partisans from Lot and a company of the Armée Secrète of Tarn-et-Garonne.[1]

Demographics

The following table shows the recorded population of the commune according to INSEE[2]

Year Population
1962 1189
1968 1192
1975 1153
1982 1084
1992 1248
1999 1187

Political Administration

The following table shows the names of the elected mayors of the commune in recent times and their period of tenure in the post.

Period Mayor
2008-2014 Bernard Dousson
2001-2008 Bernard Cassagne
1989-2001 André Simon
1960-1989 Jean Geoffroy

See also

References

  • INSEE
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.