USS Kestrel (AMC-5)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Kestrel.
Career
Name: USS Kestrel
Builder: Salisbury Yacht Co., Salisbury, Maryland
Launched: 1938, as Chanco
Acquired: 1 October 1940
Commissioned: 21 January 1941
Decommissioned: 29 October 1945
Reclassified: IX-175, 10 July 1944
Fate: Delivered to the War Shipping Administration, 5 August 1946
General characteristics
Type: Coastal minesweeper
Displacement: 219 long tons (223 t)
Length: 98 ft 10 in (30.12 m)
Beam: 21 ft 9 in (6.63 m)
Draft: 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
Speed: 11 knots (20 km/h; 13 mph)
Complement: 19
Armament: 2 × .30 caliber machine guns

USS Kestrel (AMC-5), was built in 1938 as Chanco by the Salisbury Yacht Co., Salisbury, Maryland. The yacht was acquired by the United States Navy on 1 October 1940, converted to a coastal minesweeper, and commissioned as USS Kestrel (AMc-5) on 21 January 1941.

Service history

She was assigned to the 5th Naval District and operated on inshore patrol duty out of Norfolk, Virginia, until 11 January 1944. Sailing to Boston, Massachusetts, Kestrel performed similar duties in the 1st Naval District.

She was reclassified as Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary Ship IX-175 on 10 July 1944 and operated for the remainder of her service as an experimental vessel for Radiation Laboratory, M.I.T., Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Kestrel was placed out of service on 29 October 1945 and delivered to the War Shipping Administration for disposal on 5 August 1946

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Kestrel (AMc5/IX-175) at NavSource Naval History
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.