World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

422d Bombardment Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0027976108
Reproduction Date:

Title: 422d Bombardment Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 305th Air Mobility Wing, 47th Flying Training Wing, RAF Grafton Underwood, 405th Air Expeditionary Wing, 1st Photographic Group, 305th Operations Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

422d Bombardment Squadron

422d Bombardment Squadron

Emblem of the 422d Bombardment Squadron
Active 1942-1946; 1952-1954; 1958-1961
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Bombardment

The 422d Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was as part of the 305th Bombardment Wing, stationed at Bunker Hill Air Force Base, Indiana.

It was inactivated on 15 February 1961.

History

Established in June 1942 as a B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bombardment squadron; it trained under the Second Air Force. The squadron deployed to the European Theater of Operations (ETO) in September 1942, being assigned to VIII Bomber Command in England. It began flying long-range strategic bombardment missions on 17 November 1942 and attacked such targets as submarine pens, docks, harbours, shipyards, motor works and marshalling yards in France, Germany and the Low Countries. It continued attacks on enemy cities, manufacturing centers, transportation links and other targets until the German capitulation in May 1945.

After combat missions ended, the squadron moved to St Trond Air Base in Belgium in July 1945, where it conducted photo-mapping and intelligence-gathering flights over Europe and North Africa which came under the name Project 'Casey Jones'. On 15 December 1945 it moved to Lechfeld airfield, Germany which it had bombed on 18 March 1944 and which it now used as an occupation base.

The 364th Bomb Squadron was inactivated in December 1946 in Germany.

During the Korean War, Tactical Air Command (TAC) trained aircrews at Langley AFB, Virginia. The three squadrons of the 4400th Combat Crew Training Group performing this mission were Air National Guard units that had been called up for the war. At the start of 1953, these squadrons were released to state control and the 423d Bombardment Squadron took over the mission, personnel, and equipment of the 115th Bombardment Squadron, which returned to the California guard.[1] It was then equipped with obsolete B-45 Tornado light bombers. The squadron was inactivated in 1954.

The squadron was reactivated in 1959 by Strategic Air Command (SAC) at MacDill AFB, Florida as a result of the phasing out of the B-47 Stratojet. Additional squadrons were activated as part of the consolation of Stratojet wings and the replacement of the B-47 by B-52 Stratofortresses. However, the squadron was never equipped or manned, but it was assigned administratively to several bases before being inactivated in 1961.

Lineage

  • Constituted the 33d Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) on 28 Jan 1942.
Activated on 1 Mar 1942
Redesignated the 422d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 22 Apr 1942
Inactivated on 25 Dec 1946
  • Redesignated the 422d Bombardment Squadron (Light) on 15 Nov 1952
Activated on 1 Jan 1953
Inactivated on 23 Mar 1954
  • Redesignated the 422d Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 6 Oct 1958
Activated on 1 Jan 1959
Discontinued, and inactivated, on 15 Feb 1961

Assignments

Attached to: 405th Fighter-Bomber Wing, 1 May 1953
Attached to: 47th Bombardment Wing, 20 Dec 1953

Stations

Aircraft

  • B-17 Flying Fortress, 1942-1946
  • B-26 Invader, 1953
  • B-45 Tornado, 1953-1954

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.