World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

438th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

 

438th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

438th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

Emblem of the 438th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron
Active 1943–1968
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Fighter-Interceptor


The 438th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with 507th Fighter Wing, stationed at Kincheloe AFB, Michigan. It was inactivated on 30 September 1968.

History

Established in early 1943 as a III Fighter Command Operational training unit, operated P-39s and P-47s. Inactivated in 1944 with the end of Operational Training of units.

Reactivated in 1955 as an Air Defense Command fighter-interceptor squadron, stationed at Kinross (later named Kincheloe AFB), Michigan in April 1953 with F-94B Starfires. In the spring of 1954 it transitioned into F-89D Scorpions and in the summer of 1957 into F-102A Delta Daggers. In May 1960 it received F-106 Delta Darts.

The squadron moved to Griffiss AFB, New York in August 1968 and on 30 September 1968 was redesignated the 49th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron.

Lineage

  • Constituted 438th Fighter Squadron on 12 February 1943
Activated on 20 February 1943
Disbanded on 5 May 1944
  • Reconstituted, and redesignated 438th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, on February 1953
Activated on 27 April 1953
Inactivated on 30 September 1968, personnel and equipment redesignated 49th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

References

  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Maurer, Maurer. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1982.
  • USAF Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1).

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.