World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Avenida Rivadavia

Article Id: WHEBN0021190208
Reproduction Date:

Title: Avenida Rivadavia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Buenos Aires, Line A (Buenos Aires Metro), Avenida de los Insurgentes, Morón, Buenos Aires, Caballito, Buenos Aires, Avenida de Mayo, Ciudadela, Buenos Aires, National Route 7 (Argentina)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Avenida Rivadavia

Avenida Rivadavia is one of the principal thoroughfares in Buenos Aires, Argentina, extending 23 miles (37 km) [1] from downtown Buenos Aires to the western suburb of Merlo.Is the world's longest avenue.And 9 de Julio Avenue is the world's widest avenue.

History

Upon the designation of the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata by the Spanish Empire in 1776, the "Road of the Kingdom of Heaven" leading into Buenos Aires from the east was designated a Camino Real, a "Royal Road" fit for a Viceroy, and afforded improvements and some security. This Royal Road of the West, by 1782, traveled to Mendoza, a city over 600 miles (970 km) to the west (roughly along the modern National Highway 7). Dubbed Federation Road by the paramount Governor Juan Manuel de Rosas in 1836, it was renamed in honor of former President Bernardino Rivadavia in 1857, following the reestablishment of constitutional rule.


The Buenos Aires Metro, inaugurated in 1913, was extended to Rivadavia Avenue in 1926, whereby 11 of the 16 stations on Luján was completed in 1988. Absent since 1962, a Historic Tramway Line was inaugurated along the Caballito section of Rivadavia Avenue in 1980.


Itinerary

Avenida Rivadavia begins at a crosswalk between the Casa Rosada and the State Intelligence Bureau, on the northeast corner of Buenos Aires' storied Plaza de Mayo. Running westward along the plaza, the avenue passes along the National Bank of Argentina, the Metropolitan Cathedral of Buenos Aires and City Hall before entering the old financial district.

Crossing the pedestrian Calle Florida and the massive Avenida 9 de Julio, Rivadavia merges with Avenida de Mayo at Congressional Plaza, whereby it passes between the Argentine Congress and the Art nouveau Café El Molino. Passing through Plaza Miserere in the Balvanera area, nearby points of interest include the eclectic Venetian Casa de los Pavos Reales, and, in Almagro, the Art Nouveau Café Las Violetas. Along Rivadavia Park, in the Caballito area, the avenue affords a view of the Monument to Simón Bolívar, founding father to Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela.

Nearly 10 miles (16 km) west of its outset by the Casa Rosada, Rivadavia Avenue passes under the General Paz Beltway into Ciudadela, thus leaving the Federal District for the Province of Buenos Aires. The thoroughfare continues though the Buenos Aires suburbs of Morón, Castelar, Ituzaingó, San Antonio de Padua and Merlo before crossing the Reconquista River and becoming Bartolomé Mitre Avenue. Mitre Avenue travels west another 2.5 miles (4.0 km) before merging with Piovano Avenue in Moreno.

Avenida Rivadavia

References

External links

  • Official Province of Buenos Aires bulletin (Spanish)
  • Historic Tramway in Caballito – (Spanish)

Coordinates: 34°36′34″S 58°23′44″W / 34.60940°S 58.39556°W / -34.60940; -58.39556

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.